1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rubber replacments for pro wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Robber80, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

where can i find a better alternative to the thin rubber on the pro wings. i'd like something that doesn't rip as easy. any ideas?

2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I was wondering same thing. Mine are brand new, used for over 30 hours in one storm first tiem i've run the Pro Wings. I have down pressure on my plow and was scraping ice and packed stuff cuz it snowed like at 3 pm rush hour packed it down hard. My plow spent a lot of time flipped halfway over scraping hard with down pressure on. Since the wings are angled foward, this caused the rubber wing edges to get really ground hard and bent backward on the bottom, they took serious abuse.... but wont' hold up a very long time like this either. Thought about beefing up the wings and using a steel cutting edge but that won't work cuz theres nothing to take the grind when the plow trips.. thats why the wider out the wings go, the farther they are from the ground....

ah well what can one do? lemme know if you find something else.

3. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I've heard nothing but good about the urethane edges.

4. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

where do you get the urethane ones?

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have had good luck using 1.5 inch rubber edge on ours, cover shipping and your welcome to a set

BHB.. BTW nice old dodge:drinkup:

6. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

were are you getting the 1.5 rubber? I am looking to get some for a set of wings i am making thanks
    Evan

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks Nate.

The 1.5" stuff, I think Pro Wings original stuff is like 1" right? Is yours the same stuff just thicker? If so could you hook me up with a couple more peices for my back plow sides, that would be about 6" x 16" each peice (x2)
    Thanks,
    Eric

8. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

Big Nates Plowing...i sent you a private message about the 1.5" thick rubber peices. can you really get them??

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I live in Erie PA and there is a place that sells the urethane edges. Jerry's Service and Sales he is a Blizzard dealer. The number is 814-898-2171. They also make their own custom wings, I think they are a little more aggressive than Pro Wings they capture the snow a little more.

10. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Poly Edges for PRO WINGS

Contact Allan ..... he sent me a pair of poly replacement edges for my PRO WINGS heres his email polyplowparts@yahoo.com

11. Kent Rubber Supply

I can get preety much anything from Kent Rubber Supply....I can get 1.5 or 2" or anything....all custom sizes....let me know bhb, i could prolly help you out!
    - jon

12. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

what is the advantage to poly edges vs. rubber? I'm curious if the poly is more rip resistant around the bolt holes. I just called Jerrys service, and they want $80 for the pair. They are poly and 1.5" thick.

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Big Nate, can you e-mail me at fbishop@wideopenwest.com and let me know how much for a set as well, I too have the factory 1" rubber, it's bent like nobodies business and it only 3 weeks old.

Thanks
    Frank

14. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Polyurethane Edges For Wings

I have 10"x 12" x1" polyurethane replacement edges in stock if anyone needs them.
    They do clean quite a bit better then the rubber as the material is much stiffer.
    Email me if you would like more information.
    :rolleyes: John...

15. 1olddog2

1olddog2 Member

how much do u let them go 4 ???

16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I thought the purpose of the rubber was to flex over hard objects, isn't the plastic edge just like steel and won't flex? To me the problem with the rubber is how it is attached to the frame: carriage bolt, rubber, washer, nut. First I was thinking put a large nylon washer between the head of the carriage bolt and the rubber, but now I'm thinking of fabbing some kind of stiff yet flexible (plastic, rubber, thin steel?) rectangular washer that cover the entire surface(side-to-side).

prowingdrawing.jpg

17. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I saw a pic somewhere where someone did exactly that, but he didn't make it flexible. Just used a piece of 1 1/4 x 1/8th inch stock and drilled holes for the carriage bolts.

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I used 3/4" washers, and added two additional bolts to hole the 'edges' on. The Urethane from John is VERY nice. I'll buy them again when they need replacing, I'm also thinking about a U-edge as well.

19. slebeau20

slebeau20 Junior Member
    from kansas

I use steel belted bailer belt. With me living in the Midwest I'm able to get it with ease. The plus is that it is cheap, but yet durable.

20. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

My thought of keeping it somewhat flexible is like the end of the garden hose, just enough flex to support without just moving the point of stress