1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber Plow Edge Or Steel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowanator, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Plowanator

Plowanator Junior Member

I was wondering around the Western Plow site and i stumbled upon a rubberized Plow Edge... Do any of you use this type of edge? How well has it held up? I ask because im in the market for a new edge and im pretty set of the standard 3/8"s edge but hey if you guys think that rubber thing i better then who knows what ill do

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Do a search on Urethane or U edges. There is a mountain of experience with them. We love them.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i think the rubber cutting edge is used for concrete surfaces i like the steel cutting it last longer and in some cases reversible
  4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

The plastic edges are reversible, last as well as steel, and tear up a lot less stuff. You can also cut them wider than the plow and get a curb guard out of the deal.

Dino sells them and there is a strong case for them.
  5. wolfmanah

wolfmanah Junior Member

How well do they work on gravel?

My dad has a gravel driveway and I'm always moving a lot of gravel until everything freezes. On the plus side it does level the drive out a bit. But it does get old shoveling the gravel back to where it belongs in the spring.
  6. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

The urethane edges are much nicer to gravel. I used to run shoes on gravel and adjust height as necessary. With the urethane I just go for it, no shoes, no adjusting. Still have to go slower if it warm, but definitely does less damage. I'm running a 1.5" edge on an 8' Fisher.
  7. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

A number of years ago I had a customer buy me one to use on his new asphalt parking lot. This company actually manufacture them for state plows and made a custom one for my little 7' plow. It was over 2" thick.

It's like a big squeegee on asphalt, great for moving slush and stuff before it freezes. Just rides up and over hard obstructions like raised drains and stuff. Never tripped the blade using it.

It was earily quiet when using it, no scraping noises on concrete or asphalt and since it was so thick it was great on gravel. Also worked great on grass also, never saw any brown stripes when I was a little off.