1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber or urethane?? which is better??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KCLawnTamer, Sep 2, 2009.

1. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

I am getting two new snow boxes this year and have a option of rubber cutting edge or urethane edge.. The salesman told me I would get two to three seasons out of the urethane easy.. Has anyone used them yet and if so is it worth the extra $100.00..

2. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

bump bump anyone ever used urethane???

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I have urethane edges on 2 of my blowers. They keep from leaving scratches, but wear out real fast.

4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Personally, I don't think rubber works well around here in kansas with the type of snow we get. I had a rubber edge pusher a few years back and it just wouldn't scrape clean. Since, I've gone with steel and it works much better. I have Urethane edges on an 810 and they last considerably longer. So to answer your question I'd stay away from the rubber.

5. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

Rubber should last longer and works better over a wider range of conditions than poly.

Poly gets brittle when cold, you might not have that problem in KC.

But at Pro-Tech the other year we did some extensive testing on our in house test track and found our rubber to be better than poly and last longer too. We tested several polys versus our rubber blend too, and probably 85% of the time the rubber worked better and it's cheaper. Also, it depends on the rubber blend you are comparing to.