1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber or Steel Trip?

Discussion in 'Avalanche Box Plows' started by plowfever, Nov 4, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I am getting ready to buy a 8 or 10 foot pusher for my skid loader. I am wondering if I should go with a rubber or steel cutting edge. This will be the only thing I use for snow removal so I need it to do a good job. The factory that I am concerned about has a zero tolerance for snow or ice so I worry about the rubber not cleaning it up well enough. I know for slush and wet snow they say you cant beat the rubber edge.

2. Avalanche

Avalanche Sponsor

Hi Plowfever,

Do you get more hard packed icy snow or the slushy wet stuff?

This article on the Avalancheplow.com website might be useful:
    Battle of the Blades: Rubber Cutting Edge Versus Steel Trip Edge

Rubber Blade Pro's
    One advantage of a rubber blade is that it naturally hugs the contours of the ground and so gives a squeegee-like cleaning effect. When the snow is fresh or slushy, the rubber blade will clean very well. It is also gentle on delicate surfaces like interlocking brick. You should make sure that the rubber is of a high grade. (For example, Avalanche box plows use rubber with an 85 durometer rating, the highest in the industry. A rating lower than that means the rubber is not as dense and will wear more quickly.)

Rubber Blade Con's
    You've finally reached the end of a big parking lot. However, you still can't leave. Why not? Because there are patches of hard-packed snow where cars have driven and your rubber blade has not cleared them. Now you have to unhook the plow and go back to scrape those areas with your bucket edge. A rubber or poly blade is simply not stiff enough or sharp enough to cut through hard-packed or frozen snow all the way to the pavement. In these conditions a steel trip edge would make your life much easier.

Steel Blade Pro's
    The biggest advantage to using a steel blade comes when you're plowing in tough conditions as mentioned. If the snow is hard-packed or if it has frozen overnight, a pusher with a steel trip edge will make you a lot faster, assuming of course that your trip mechanism gives sufficient stiffness. The Avalanche STE utilizes 7/8" torsion springs to give a lot of attack which allows the blade to cut to the pavement on the first pass. (Some other brands use a steel blade bolted to a rubber edge. That gives you neither the stiffness nor the durability to make it a worthwhile investment.) A steel blade is also much less likely to break if you hit something and therefore, on average, you should get more service life out of it. Again, this is only true if it is a well built system based on a rugged spring mechanism.

Steel Blade Con's
    A pusher with a proper steel trip edge system is more complex to manufacture than one with a rubber edge and therefore it is generally more expensive up front. However, this can be balanced against the fact that it will make you much faster when clearing icy or hard-packed snow.

3. buddy4781

buddy4781 Senior Member

I use an 8' pusher and had a 7" tall piece of steel welded to the top of the pusher. This allows me to tilt the box all the way forward and back drag or scrape hardpack. The 8' puasher also allows me to back drag between cars and other tight places.

Buddy

4. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Buddy4781 do you plow big area with the steel edge that way or just small areas. I know avalanche has that option on there pushers so I could go that route also. I got a price on both the 8' with rubber and 8' with steel trip edge. The steel trip edge was double what the rubber one was. He gave me a price of $1800 for the rubber and $3900 for the steel.