1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber flappy deflector

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I've seen pictures of a lot of plows here with the rubber deflector mounted to the top of the blade.

Anyone had experience using with and without. None of the trucks I've plowed with, nor my current one have a deflector. What is the benefit of using one ? Large storms only ? Light drifting snow ?

Enlighten me..... Thanks !Thumbs Up

BTW,

Where can I get one ? It appears that my plow never was offered with one from the dealer.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

A lot of people wouldn't have a blade without one. main benefit is keeping snow from blowing up on your windshield, so if you only do driveways then prob not a huge deal. Western has rubber and poly, and they should be avail from your dealer.

3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I called the local Western guy and he stocks the kit for $186..

I called Professional Parts Warehouse Dot Com and ordered one for $69

Thanks !

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

cool! might be a difference in material, but yea I don't blame you. sounds good.

5. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Go get cheap rubber semi mud flaps for $20, cut them in half, bam cheapest way and does the same thing.

6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

The poly deflector is better or no

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I like the poly a little better. they are lighter, hold up nicely and cheaper than the rubber. the one for 8-9' blades should be about $135. we sell alot more poly than rubber.

8. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

$86 don't seem bad. I got a old conveyor belt from a factory about 1/4 wide folded it in half and bolted it down works great, not floppy either!

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yes there is...

The one from PPW is made from a recycled tire material, but comes with all the hardware needed. I figured if I got one season out of the rubber, I'd upgrade with something local, and use the hardware kit over again... Bolts and steel plates of some sorts. We'll see how good it is...

Anyone ever used heavy duty plexiglass ? I have some super flexible sheets of plexi left over from a job, and I was thinking it might do.... or at least see how it works.. or not.

Might be a bad idea, as the plexi won't flex enough and crack....

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that would be my guess, but I've never seen anybody try it.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Some blades need a deflector more than others. Steel Fishers do ok without, it's essential on an X or XV

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a steel Fisher. To be honest I wish I had one for the long driveways I do but I can't bring myself to fork over the $$$ that they want for one.

13. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

We have both. Any replacements we do are with conveyor belt with the width cut in 3. The belting costs 2 bucks a foot so a 9 ft plow costs 6 dollars. If needed, new bolts and a strip of metal and a drill bit round out the total cost, plus a little time.

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks Guys !

I appreciate all the info, and I went with a new under $100 kit.

Super fast ship, and I installed it in about an hour and a half due to the time it took for the touchup paint to dry on the plow (not to leave bare metal in the mounting holes... Great having other opinions to help base my decisions upon....

Gracias amigos ! Thumbs Up

Here's the blade just out of hibernation and all the holes drilled, primed and painted.

[​IMG]

Installation process with clamps. I used a neverseize on the bolts so I could replace it when necessary

[​IMG]

Ready for snow...... let's hope we get some, right ?

[​IMG]

15. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Personally I wouldn't plow without a deflector!

16. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

EXSPECIALY WHEN DOIN LITE POWDER ........................:dizzy: