1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rubber edge .....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pinzgauer, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I'm bidding on a large contract where part of the plow area is over a parking garage with a membrane surface. They specify the use of a rubber edge for those areas. I have never used one. Do you guys have experience with that type of edge?

Thanks ............
  2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

try rubbercal really cheap compared to stock
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i use only rubber on all of my pushers because there's less damage to theparking lot with rubber blades so i would highly recommend rubber for pushers but on a pick up truck, i would not, because most trucks arent heavy enough so the rubber doesnt scrape the ground completely leaving packed snow behind. now are you talking rubber for a pick up or a pusher?
  4. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

thanks for the replies guys ....... I push with pickups, but might consider doing the garage decks with a loader attachment.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with the pickup blade but I think I might need to start a thread to disagree with you about rubber edged pushers. Once you go steel trip you never go back.:drinkup:
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

my fear with the steel is that in an even parking lot, you'll miss a lot and also, should you catch the corner of a catch basin, you'll do some damage.
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Ask Clapper. he has a rubber cutting edge on his fisher.....
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of rubber edges on pickup blades. I tried that one year for my resi's (wanted to be nice & quite, so I could zip around in the wee-morning lol), worked great for wet slushy storms (like a big squeegee) but was terrible if there was any ice or hardpack. Did alot of cleanup shoveling that year! lol