1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber edge

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by marvelous, Nov 21, 2010.

1. marvelous

marvelous Junior Member

I have not used a rubber edge. I have blacktop and gravel to plow. Will the gravel wreck the rubber edge? I have more blacktop than gravel driveways. Using 7' 6" Meyers
    ST78 I think. Any one have experience on this.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

If the snow is compacted down like if it was driven on, then your not going to be able to do a good job when plowing it. Gravel would probably shred it up.
    JusT drop your plow and raise it up by tapping the up button twice.

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

if you can avoid the rubber edge than do it. they really dont scrape well from what i have seen and gravel wont destroy it but it will significantly reduce the lifespan. i would go with a steel edge. and either raise it up a hair on the gravel or use plowshoes.

4. marvelous

marvelous Junior Member

Thanks for the info. The opinion seems to be avoid the rubber edge

5. marvelous

marvelous Junior Member

Thanks for info Rubber edges don't seem popular. How about on brick? catch with stell?

6. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

rubber edges are good for brick. keep in mind if the snow is compacted or has been driven over, you will have trouble.

I plow a gravel driveway for my dad's buddy after doing all my normal snow duties when it snows. I have a steel edge and just lower the plow all the way then just raise it a hair off of the surface. that's the best way to go.

all the best !

7. PPP

PPP Member

Do yourself a favor and use the search feature for urethane or u edges as opposed to rubber. It just might pique your interest a little more.

8. LON

LON Senior Member

Been using a rubber edge for 10+ years on a old Fisher 10ft plow that we have on a 75 IH 1700 4x4. Limestone lot here at our shop. Would use nothing else. Steel edge plow we use to use would pull most of the limestone in our snow banks and now we don't pull nearly as much.

9. marvelous

marvelous Junior Member

How is the back drag? clean or ? depend on surface?

10. scooterdayton

scooterdayton Junior Member

no way would i use rubber. heard it doesnt scrap garbage.
    might be work great for certain situations but id hate to change all the time.

what i do is just backdrag all the gravel same way youd plow it.
    looks funny but then plow wont cut in and kick up gravel
    or can try lifting blade a little