1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber edge vs steel edge

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Xforce 1, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

I'm buying a couple of protechs an never had experiece with rubber edges. Seems like they wouldn't work with "tracked" on snow. Please tell me the ups and downs please.

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Used to use them for parking garage roof tops, because of the rubber expansion joints in the concrete. I never liked them because they would smear the snow. They will not cut through a compacted base like steel will. I don't recommend them unless you have a special need or reason. If memory serves me right, they are a bit pricey.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Get an Arctic...pricey but worth every penny... They'll pay for themselves with the salt savings alone

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Rubber is useless compared to steel trip.

5. joester

joester Junior Member

I will say to the original poster that I own 7 rubber edged pushers and am currently saying to myself that I will never buy another one. Only steel trip edge for us moving forward. For you guys that use the steel trip, what brands are you using? I have been trying to compare Avalanche, Protech, and Daniels. I like how Avalanche has the trip edge lock, and Daniels appears extremely heavy duty, but considerably more than the Avalanche. Any input would be appreciated!

6. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 Member

I have a rubber edge pusher and it does ok. When I bought it ten years ago I dont think they had steel trip edges. If you insist on steel, make sure that it is on a tripping mechanism. Otherwise, you will be fixing manhole covers and repaving parking lots.

The next one will be a steel trip, though.

7. Larry767

Larry767 Junior Member

Long shot given this thread is 5 years old but can you clarify what you mean by "trip edge lock"? I looked on their website and can't see any info about that. Are you saying they have a mechanism to lock the trip edge so it won't trip, effectively making it a fixed edge plow? Why would you want to do that? Nuisance trips when trying to scrape hard snow or ice?