1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber edge vs Steel edge on push boxes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mullis56, Feb 8, 2009.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

All of our push boxes have rubber on them now, and it is torn/ripped etc after a 12"/13" snow storm we had. If we switch to steel next year what issues will we have? Issues with ripping up parking lots? Thanks for your input.

2. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

We find that the steel cutting edges on the pushers will do a better job at scraping packed snow and ice. Since most of the time this is the material we are dealing with we prefer the steel edges. Only once or twice a year do i wind up saying to myself that the rubber edge would have cleaned up better. With quickly melting and sloppy slush material the rubber cleans better. Hands down the steel edges outperform the rubbers in my area. We have not noticed any damage thus far caused by using a steel edge. But the edge you use must be able to trip.

3. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I'm switching to steel next season. The rubber is good for the slop, but we get a lot more hardpack here.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I would never run a steel edge on a large pusher without a trip. It took us a few years to get rid of all our rubber pushers but I'm so glad now. You couldn't give me a rubber edged pusher now, steel trip is the only way to go period.

5. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Can we convert Avalache with RE to steel trip?

6. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

How well would a steel edge work on slush?

7. payton

payton Senior Member

weld in a roll type pin and attach cuttin edge to that with springs attached to that would work id think. ive got a few ideas ill draw something up for ya 2 see.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've converted multiple blades from rubber to steel and they worked fine and the price was right because we did it ourselves. If you have to pay a shop to build your trip edge you probably better just to sell them and buy new. JMO

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Rubber is better on slush but not by much. Steel trip will out perform a rubber edge 99% of the time. Rubber was a good idea but steel trip is the answer.

10. payton

payton Senior Member

anychance you wanna send some pics of how you did it see if im thinking right or not?

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Subscribing

12. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i don't have a 12 -14 ft pusher it's only 10ft w/ a rubber edge for RR tracks we need to go over but i think i might buy a sweeper attachment to do the tracks and convert my rubber to steel trip. parts might be more readily avaiable for a 10 foot but to save time and work i was going to buy a steel trip for say a 10 foot boss plow then adapt it with the necessary springs ect to fit my pusher. i could actually buy all BOSS parts and make it work and probably cheap if i surf the net

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

This is a bad picture but this is the system we copied. We made our hinge out of 1" shaft and 1" id thick walled pipe. This trip system is the easiest to be made. IMO

20.jpg

14. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

you have any better pics than that JD? I think i want to convert two or three of my rubber edges over to steel this summer.

15. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

you say copied....i can't make out the brand, maybe i can go to their site for better pics. did you have a basic hardened steel edge made then weld on the 1 " shafts to the steel edge (i'm guessing?) and fit the springs?
    steve

16. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

What length would you cap it at Dave?
    Think a 12 footer is to big for no trip edge.

17. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i am in the process of doing a couple of trips, i have done one, didn't like it, and redesigned it again, you would be surprised how easy it is once you start throwing ideas out there

18. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

I would love to see and hear how this is done

19. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You only need to clip the top of a manhole cover once to answer that question.

I've had both also, and as Dave says you couldnt give me a rubber edged pusher.

IMO steel trip edge is mandatory-no matter what size pusher.

20. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

yeah, never again will i own a rubber one