1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber deflectors and curl braces

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MarkEagleUSA, Nov 2, 2010.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

The Western deflectors come with "curl braces" to help support the ends of the blade curl. My Standard has been welded about 3" on each side where the blade skin meets the upper piece of angle iron because of the deflector.

I think these "curl braces" are nothing more than an eyebolt bent at a couple of different angles. I'm wondering, since my blade will be painted in the spring, can I just weld in a small piece of angle iron or flat stock to provide the support? Do the "curl braces" have any other function (other than increased $$$)?

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Well you could do that or there is the option of switching your deflector to a stiffer one. I got mine off of ebay and its made out of conveyor belt material, nice and stiff and it has held up great going on the second year with it and no issues, and no curl braces. Mine is held to the blade with metal strips that sit on top of the deflector and bolt through it and the blade. Hope it helps.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think youwould be fine welding a piece in to tie them together if you don't have the bolts. I agree you should do something or it will keep on tearing off. I have had to weld a few back on for people.