1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber deflector?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mulcahy mowing, Sep 6, 2008.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

are they worth it? i plow allot of roads and large parking lots i always have to deal with snow splashing up onto the windshield i cant stand it.

how much should i expect to pay for one from fisher?
  2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Get one for FREE, search on here for deflectors, but you can get waste material at a quarry or some guys get'm at farms, cut a strip, bolt it on and go

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=62931&highlight=deflector&page=2 , , click on it, it will show you a pic of material.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If your plowing roads with a straight blade, I would get a metal snofoil. It really curls and trhows the snow to the side.

If you are going with rubber get a large piece. Here the muni and state plows have rubber defelctors that hang down so they are only maybe 10-12 inches off the ground and really keep the snow down.

I like the foil the best though, I can blast down a road with the blade angle and get no spray and still have the snow thrown far back to the side.
  4. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

any one know where to get a 1.5" or 2" thick by 8' long piece of steel?? and how much it should cost?
  5. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

What are you going to be using the steel for and why so thick, and what is the width you're looking for? If you have any steel supplier or fabrication shop around you than they can get it for you.

I couldn't give you and accurate price of the top of my head but I bet it's in the 75-100 price range, steel is not cheep any more.

This being used for rubber deflector mounting?
  6. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I just bought a set with my new extreme V. They were $145 from my dealer. Pretty nice overall but yes you could make you're own for cheaper, with rubber and steel.

The key point is to have to the steel backing go down and cover some of the rubber, that way it makes the rubber more rigid and supports is better when is flexes.

Here's a couple of pics, you can see the steel backing comes down over the rubber a little.

7. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

yes I have the rubber, just need the steel for on top to hold the rubber down
  8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

You really only need a piece that is 1/8th maybe 3/16 thick and maybe 4-5 inches wide. That is plenty to support the rubber as a backing. The backings for the ExtremeV in the above photos are 1/8 think I believe, notice they also have bend in them as well.

If you looking for a complete length of 8' in 1/8th or 3/16 think that might be a little tougher to find, that may have to be cut out of a piece of sheet steel and unless it's a large fab shop an 8' length would be a little uncommon but possible to find.

I'm fortunate to have a steel supplier/fab shop right up the road who can get me anything:D

Even if you go to a small fab shop that doesn't usually sell steel they could probably order something for you but it might cost you a little more.
  9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i got the rock belt used. then 3" wide strip of 3/16 plate 8ft long. my rubber is 12" wide by 8'3" long. i left 1.5" overhang. that way i could reinstall my blade markers. then used 9 bolts across the top and pinched it all together.

after a few road trips and plow trips i found way to much flapping from the rubber. so i got 3 lengths of chain 4 screw eyes and 3 threaded chain links and 8 fender washers and 4 nylock nuts.

drilled 3 holes 1 each corner 1 center on rubber. opened up the screw eye a bit and installed chain and reshut eye. then used screw eye with reg nut all the way on,then 1 fender washer per side with rubber in the middle and toped off with nylock nut. then drilled 1 hole around 1/3 the way from top of blade in the middle. and installed eye let with same washer/nut setup as rubber. then used threaded links on ends of chain.

played with the combo till happy with flo of snow and position of flap when on the road with air flow. found max flap limit set at 90* from plow face workes perfectly.

sorry no pics of chain setup. will try and get them soon.

fisher snow flap setup 001.jpg

fisher snow flap setup 002.jpg

fisher snow flap setup 004.jpg

fisher snow flap setup 005.1.jpg
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Believe he meant WIDE...not THICK. :nod:

An 8' length of 2" wide strap steel should run around $25 or less in 3/16" thickness..
  11. Flipper

from CT

I like to use a wider piece of steel and bend it on the press brake so that the overhang pushes the rubber down. A 30degree angle or so makes it.
  12. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

backdrag blade?

Doakster, is that a backdrag blade on your plow?
  13. karol

karol Senior Member

extreme v

You beat me to it. I was going to ask the same question.
  14. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

Yea that looks like a back drag edge. That plow is nice!!!

Back to the first question.... A 8 foot rubber and deflector prices....

Rubber- $265..... Part Number 22470-1
    Steel- $135... Part Number 26480

And here is the snow foil price

Foil- $315.... Part Number 8252

I would go for a rubber deflector because the steel ones tend to lift the plow off the ground in heavier snow. Feel free to make your own... just make sure you have that slight piece of steel that keeps the rubber down like someone else said.

Good Luck
  15. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

The angle, maybe 30 degrees or so, is exactly how the support places are set up on my extremeV, you can kinda see the bend in the first pic I posted.

Yup sure is, you can see them in the second pic, they install by bolting through the same holes that hold the main cutting edge on, when the plow is lowered it pretty much puts the angle of them at a slight "attack angle" to the ground.

We'll see how they work, but I'm not expecting miracles.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  16. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Doakster, That is one sweet plow. I really like mine a lot. My deflector works pretty good, but snow leaks out through the hole in the center. Oh well, that's the price we pay for a V. Great plow!

I read in one of your threads that the right wing is way slower than the left. Well, I can't tell you that mine is not, but I don't think it is 10-12"s slower. Does the right way move way fast when the left reaches full scoop? Mine does. I was ordering spare hoses today and I remembered that they are different diameters. I know 06HD said you were real smart, but maybe you hooked the 1/4" hose where the 3/8" hose goes on the pump. I am saying anything about your mental capacity here lol. I just know that by the time I got to hooking up hoses after the mount, putting the plow together, and hooking up the electrics I was a little brain-fried and had to double check myself a couple of times. I don't know if the angling rams would even work if this happened, but easy fix if it did. Hey let me know how those backdrag edges work. I have been thinking about buying some, but I opted for Fisher wing extensions instead.
  17. Flipper

from CT

I made my own for the V and cut the centers at 45s so they overlap. Workes pretty well. I will snap a picture of it.
  18. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

The backwards hoses makes sense but to me i think it is the fluid you guys are putting in the plows. We just remounted a 8 1/2 xv ss saturday and it had our local oil in it. It only lagged a half an inch when going into v.
  19. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

So the blue fisher hydraulic fluid is no good?

Flipper-I thought about the overlap idea but I wasn't 100%. Therefore I followed Fisher's directions and left them square. I also didn't think I had enough length to overlap completely.
  20. Flipper

from CT

Here's mine.

I did not use Fisher material. I made my own up. The overlap works well with the center deflector, mine is an EZ V. No gap when in scoop. A little when striaght blade and in V the snow rolls to both sides. Works well.

Yes the plow has been repainted.

Also anyone put the new Extreme V edges on an EZ-V? I need to do it before winter. Hopefully I can just drill the edges to fit.

I guess the date is wrong on the Camera. I just took these pictures.

V Plow 002.jpg

V Plow 003.jpg