1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber Deflector

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MooseHeadRider, Dec 30, 2005.

1. MooseHeadRider

MooseHeadRider Junior Member

Does anyone know where to buy rubber that can be used as a deflector? I just have a hard time paying over 200 bucks for a piece of rubber with the snow plow logo on it.

Thanks
    Bob

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try the CPW link at the top of the page. aftermarkets are considerablly cheaper.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Got any rock quaries near by? I get there scraps from the conveyors. the ones around here always have peices laying around and will give them away. Just stop in and ask them.

4. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

what size of plow Bob??

Brian

5. MooseHeadRider

Thanks for the replies. CPW has one that will work for 85 so that is more resonable.

I will look into the quarry idea. There is one near where I work so I will stop in and check it out.

I have an 8 foot Fisher straight blade plow with the snow stacker on it. If you know which one I mean. It's not the snow foil but the one that looks like a Z to increase the height of the plow. I want the rubber because I am sick of having the snow come up and blinding me so I can't see. My road has nice drainage ditches on each side and I have already been stuck in it once this year.

Bob

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I prefer the molded poly deflectors. They're a little more money,but I feel they work better, with less disruption to discharge. They do have a little more aerodynamic lift but I don't think it's enough to affect anything. Could be I don't notice it (the lift) because of the direct mechanical lift. Just my opinion.

7. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Try these guys.Just bought the plastic piece for mine.

Chris
    http://www.angelos-supplies.com/plowparts/catresults.pg?cat='Snow%20Deflectors'

8. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

depends on how much money you want to save.... i have seen one of the plow truck at a cemetery by my house uses the tread from a truck tire

9. MooseHeadRider

Yeah, I thought about a tire but I didn't want the hassle of cutting it up. I am going to see about the quarry idea and if not that then I found a place that has then for 55 so I will get it from there.

Of course it will probably cost that in shipping. :)

Bob

10. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

The quarry idea is good but those conveyor belts can be very difficult to cut up. I used a gas powered chainsaw type thing with a steel cutting blade and it was still a pain. But the belt I used was 3/4-1" thick and it was steel lined.

Works great though, doesn't flap down, it stays straight out and theres no way your gonna rip it

Dennis

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

ANY conveir belting will work- assembly line stuff, quarry stuff is going to be think as heck.

Try northerntool.com- they have a deflector kit reasonably priced. I found a roll of conveir belting in the storage space of a company I was doing work for - it was there when they moved in and they had no use for it so they let me have it. It's 1/4 inch thick and has rubberized fingers on one side. Should work great whenever I get around to drilling the blade for it.

BTW- junk the Z shaped "deflector' They're worthless- the don;t help for anything over 5mph. Everyone I asked about them when I started plowing told me that and said stay away. I have a snofoil for the dump since it does more open lot stuff with little stacking.

12. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I used angelo's. they had the best price. I made the mistake of going with a universal flap. the problem is, is that there was a lot of cutting. I had to cut it to lenght. then the deflector is 12" wide. I had to cut it back 4" because when i drove down the road it would start flapping like crazy and it would shake the whole front end. If you go with the universal make sure you have a sharp razor. it will cut it like butter

13. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

i like the plastic ones better,, those flappers when you go down the road drive me nuts, and i think they drive the other people nutz too? ha