1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber Deflector V Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by River Hill, Oct 16, 2002.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I just assumed the the rubber deflector on top of the plow was standard with the Fisher as it is with the Western. What is the purpose of these rubber deflectors? I would guess it would keep snow from coming up over the plow? Are these only needed if you are plowing at high speeds. The dealer wants $155.00 for them. I know that's peanuts in the big picture after buying a plow and spreader, I was just wondering if it's worth it or not?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

It is well worth it to have a deflector. Why fisher doesnt include it is beyond me. Look into getting conveyor rubber, sometimes its available from gravel banks after they replace the conveyors. I am sure there are other outlets, and maybe another member could help out.
    Dino

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Fisher used to use a metal Sno-Foil on their straight plows, it's a big help in powdery conditions. It doesn't take much speed for the snow to fly up over the plow in those conditions.

I use a piece of conveyor, like Dino suggested. You can usually get it free from gravel banks and stone quarries like he said. Not too pretty, but cheap and it works.

4. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

Brians,

Check around at different rubber suppliers, the dealer wanted $170.00 for a deflecter, I found a supplier that sold it by the foot, I got a sheet of either 1/4" or 3/8" (haven't looked at it yet this fall) 3' x 4' for $26.00. Then I used a piece of 1" flat stock to secure it. Just make sure you make your center piece around the V as a seperate piece to allow the blade to move with out tearing the rubber.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On the fisher /western v plows, you only need to install the rubber on the two wings. The center area has a small metal deflector. Not enough snow would come out of that area anyway.
    The metal retainer strips do however have a 30degree bend in them to help keep the rubber down in front of the moldboard, instead of sticking straight out.
    Dino