1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rubber cutting edges

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by willie dexter, Dec 14, 2006.

1. willie dexter

willie dexter Member

are these by chance better than the steel edges? what r the pros and cons?thanks

2. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

cutting edges

On our snow plows we use steel, on the snow pushers rubber.
    The rubber edges will not scrape as well as the steel. On my pushers there are no trip edges so I use rubber.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

rubber cutting edges are meant for brick or concrete like parking garages other than that just run steel

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search on urethane or polyurethane. Lots and lots of reading, good info.

I would have to disagree with the statement about rubber is only for concrete or pavers. I only have 3 of 11 front plows that have steel edges. The rest are polyurethane. All the back\pull plows are poly as well as my Sidewing.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Rubber is for push boxes or plows that have to do sidewalks or concrete or brick pavers. Steel will scrape a lot better. Since push boxes don't have trip edges or trip spring something has to give. Imagine hitting a man hole with a steel edge and no trip .....well somethings still got to give, it would probably be your frame and your head against the windshield.

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Mark does the urethane edges need replacing more regular and what is the cost in relation to metal or rubber.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Cost is higher than steel, but much, much longer life out of urethane. Can't help with the rubber, I haven't had one of bought one in over 5 years at least.

You get the same benefit with a urethane edge on a truck mounted plow as you do on a pusher. Manholes, catch basins etc. I've seen a decrease in broken plows and mounts since moving to urethane.

I will not argue too much on scraping hardpack. Steel is definitely better, but it still depends a lot on the attack angle and weight of the plow.

8. SLLNorth

SLLNorth Member

Most of our plows are rubber edges. We service a lot of paver drives as well as high-end homes that get seal-coated bi-annualy. Upsides are that they are less likley to cause surface damage, as well as damage to turf. Downside is that they do not move wet heavy snow well. Overall we have been happy but if you only have 1 truck, i would reccommend going with a steel edge.

9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

How long do they last?

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

is it quieter plowing with a poly or rubber edge than a steel one??

11. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

how much do they run??