1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber Cutting Edges on Boss 8'2" V-Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TLS, Dec 11, 2000.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone put rubber cutting edges on a Boss V? Was thinking that it would help with hitting some hidden obstructions. How long do you think it would take to wear out since the Boss's are heavier than most regular plows? Do they come pre drilled or will I have to buy one for a 8.5' and cut it in half and drill holes?

I am in no hurry, so enjoy your plowing guys!!!

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have about 25 hours now on a urethane edge from mts on my Boss 8'2" V. It is much more forgiving than before, from curbs to grass. I ordered the 8.5 foot length, then cut it with a large tooth blade on a sawsall. Cut like a hot knife through butter. I left the extra length on, so it sticks out a couple inches on each side.

It has hardly even wore down to the angle of attack yet, so I'm assuming it's pretty tough.

All in all, so far I like it.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well the rubber wont last anyway near as long as urethane, but it will help with the lack of tripping on the plow. Rubber will run alomost as much as urethane, but wont last as long and has a tendency to tear.
    Call me at 860-859-0739 and I will be happy to quote you a price. I have that edge in stock and ready to ship.
  4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

J. Thomas Distributors sells rubber cutting edges for all Boss plows....

However, for the money - I'd go with polyurethane. It doesn't cost much more to go to polyurethane than to rubber. You'll get more life out of the urethane, and that alone would justify the minor increase in cost.

And... I don't sell them so I have nothing to gain from my opinion (just so you don't think Dino is blowing smoke up your anal pore).
  5. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

can you get those for the new boss v plows, the ones with out the rubber in the center I just have 2 cutting edges and the curve in the middle.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:drinkup: That's the way to bring a 7yr old thread back to life..:drinkup:
  7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

[​IMG] LOL :D
  8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats gota be the oldest ive seen resurrected from the dead...prsport
  9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

To quote an old Smokes ad..

You've come a long way Baby.....................

Quality cut. Lot's of advancements in Urethane since that thread started.

Now have a U edge that is a bolt on that you can swap back and forth from steel to Urethane at will with the stock hardware. Works for the newer as well as the older plows and has some extra that overhangs the ends to help with curb protection.

PM for more details

Great way to use the Search option though. :salute:

10. Rtom45

Rtom45 Junior Member

Talk about a small world.
    Tom from Behrend
  11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

See you from time to time crusing around. Might want to work that dodge once and a while. LOL
  12. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Does anyone use a polyurethane cutting edge?
  13. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Learn how to use the search feature.:sleeping:
  14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i tried it for a few storms but it just doesnt scrape as well. if the lot gets salted or is pre treated it wasnt an issue, but hard packet ice would not get scraped up at all.
    the one thing i like the most was how quite it was. no steel edge scraping along making alot of noise. just the sound of your truck and the radio.
    one other positive aspect of a poly edge is it does not dig into sod at all. even soft non frozen gravel it would just glide over it. my moms drive is a huge PITA and there always seems to be spots that dont freeze and will bring my truck to a stop quick, but a poly edge just floated over it.
  15. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw how old this thread was.prsport
  16. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I suppose it is more important to scrape clean so I will look into the PlowGuard Xtendors.
  17. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

So let me understand here - you bash my posts, copy my smilies, then want to purchase products I find:rolleyes: Does your wife know you spend so much time on this site:dizzy: