1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rubber cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by skidooer, Oct 29, 2008.

1. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

I am considering on going to a rubber cutting edge does anyone use one looking for some real life experience not speculation.

2. standenc

standenc Junior Member

hi i had one on my previous plow worked great easier on truck and plow but any wet packy snow it would'nt cut it down if you drove on it. Slushy snow on asphalt worked great act like a big squegee. and it also wore good had it on plow for 5 years and plowed 75% on pavement and never really wore.

"PLOW ON"

3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Glad to hear it worked well for you, we are experimenting this year with one.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes, and they 100% suck -

5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

we are experimenting because we are contracted to plow the tops of a few parking garages and couple residential driveways that are pavers. Elite what is the dislikes of the blade?

6. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

When I was plowing for my town in NH. It was perfect. It was very easy on road issues. The truck took alot less abuse. It works just like a squeegy. Only bad part if plowing while roads are drying blade shakes a little. Wear was good. Two years then flip it over. Just my 2 cents

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I have not heard of any horror stories with them, they seem to give a clean finish! Here in jersey we get alot of sleet/ice crap storms, the rubber cutting edges had a hard time cutting into that!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Rubber edges are OK, they require a lot of adjustment to work properly. You want 1" below the moldboard for icy storms, three inches for "soft" snow. they also add a bunch of weight as you retain the steel edge as well as add alot of weight in rubber. Poly blades aren't as good for the squeegee effect but they are save for sealer, pavers, and are very quiet.

9. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

we ran them on the state highwy trucks once made alot more Ice cause they left a thin layer of water that froze almost instantly. cars everywere

10. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Gesh...any more input? I'm considering either a new Western Wide out with the rubber edges on the movable wings or a Blizzard that has the metal edges on the wings. Anyone use either of these so I can compare apples to apples? Many thanks!