1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rubber cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AFM Contracting, Jan 31, 2007.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

are rubber cutting edges any good? whats the benifits?
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Depends on what you are plowing...and what is required in the contract.

I have rubber on my sidwalk machines and my truck. Contract says not steel on concrete or pavers....So i can plow parking decks as needed I put rubber on my truck...I hate it. It doesnt scrape a thing....but its quiet.
  3. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I do about a mile of private dirt (some gravel) road in Colorado and got tired of plowing up 20% dirt & rock with the standard steel edge no matter how I set the shoes. Our snowiest months tend (not this year though) to be fall and spring when the ground often is not frozen, so the shoes would just sink in and not keep the blade off the surface.

About 6 years ago I put the rubber edge on my Western straight blade and would never go back!! :D

The blade probably trips once or twice a season rather than 10 times per run, plus everything is MUCH smoother - on the blade, the truck, on the road, and on me. I am usually able to plow before there has been much traffic to pack it down, so I don't miss not being able to actually scrape a paved surface.

My situation is probably different than most folks on this board, but I am sure a firm believer in rubber edges for unpaved surfaces at least.

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

they are pretty much just for concrete like parking garages or brick driveways
  5. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Tell ya what rubber is good when you know you will have obstructions < Like a gas stations fill covers or a roads man hole covers because it allows the blade to "Bounce" over them.

The throw back to rubber edges is cutting through heavy snow and ice,,Same bounce that protects ya from damage on hard objects allows blade to bounce on top of hard pack or ice.
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It also does a much cleaner job in wet and slushy conditions.
  7. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Diehrd is correct in that the "CON" of a rubber edge is that it will not dig in to hard pack snow or ice. But the "PRO" is that it will not dig into a dirt or gravel driveway either.

So..... depends on what your plowing environment and primary needs are.

Works for me!
  8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI