1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber cutting edge

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 129, Nov 27, 2006.

1. 129

129 Junior Member

I need to tap into the knowledge of this group! I have a Curtis snow plow. For the last two seasons I have been using a steel cutting edge, but this year I would like to switch over to a rubber edge due to the amount of pavement plowing I will be doing this year. I went to my local Curtis dealer and asked for a rubber cutting edge. I was given a plastic one? I have never seen one like this. Should I just take it back and go else where for a rubber edge? The plastic one was not even pre-drilled. I have put pro wings on the blade for this year and they came with real rubber cutting edges. Any suggestions would be of help!:salute:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If it's what I think, then it's a urethane edge. No, you don't want to take it back. He should have drilled it to fit your plow, but you can do it yourself if you have a drill. It will outperform and outwear your steel or rubber cutting edge when used on pavement.

3. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

If it's "plastic" it's not urethane. It's polyethylene. Urethane has more of the flexible properties of rubber, but is more durable and last up to 7 times longer.

4. 129

129 Junior Member

Thanks guys! Just the advise I was seeking! I'll let ya know how the installation goes. Now if we just get some snow:p

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you're plowing alot of pavement you want steel, not rubber. Poly edges are a better option than rubber, especially if it was given to you at the cost of a rubber edge :>

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback or information on expected life expectancy of a plastic cutting edge. Would be using the plow on 60 driveways each one about 25' long x 18' wide, and 89,000 sq. feet of road. Asphalt is all in real good shape, no major gouges, or rough spots. Can I expect a plastic edge to last through approximately 20-25 plowings?

7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Andrew, that plastic wouldn't even last close to that many clearings. I have a plastic edge on one of my blowers and I'm lucky if it holds out for two clearings of a 128 unit project. Unless someone knows of a product that will hold up longer. I've been looking for the past 3 years.

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

So we'd just be better off figuring the price of re-sealcoating their driveways in would be our best bet? Some of these people need a reality check, I remember you telling me about the one condo board that didnt want steel cutting edges, you talked them out of it right? I'll give you a call next week, I never returned your call from a week ago..... we went to a school board meeting last night to hear the results of bidding for plowing for their district, pretty entertaining.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Is it yellow? If so it's a Fall-line Poly blade, work well wears long.:nod:

10. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member