1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber cutting edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Shade Tree NJ, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

Tried searching for info but couldn't get anything back. Curious as to experience with a rubber cutting edge. How do they hold up? Are they good for scraping up packed snow? How are they for back dragging?

Thanks in advance

2. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

I have one and im going to get a poly one. The rubber doesnt scrape well and back drags about as well as a plow can. The biggest downfall I have with it is when snow is around 1" or under an inch, it violently bounces.

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

How long does a rubber edge actually last ?

There's a guy with a wagoneer here that has a rubber edge that's been on there for about a decade or more. He only does one lot, but still it's used for forever and hasn't rotted away (doesn't get used enough to wear away).

Hours, years, months ?

4. McG_Landscaping

I had mine on for one season doing drives. I took it off then went to a steel blade. I put it back on this year and have used it for a few storms with little wear. I really think they last for a few years depending on how much youre doing. It was on my plow when i bought it so I dont know how old it is

5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Why cant you just use a metal cutting edge ?

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Because it does damage to brick and some fancy concrete driveways.

7. McG_Landscaping

I have a brick roundabout, and a few raised parking decks that require a poly or rubber blade.

8. maxwellp

As for how long they last, my is a poly one. The first two year I wrote down how many hours I used it. But have given that up. it is fours years old now. I put about 8 hours in a 2 inch snow fall. At this rate I will get 4-6 more years out of it. Costs more than steel but lasts way longer, so it is cheaper.

9. Shade Tree NJ

My cutting edge now is on its way out, outside corners getting rounded. I know the rubber is great for pavers (do a few paver driveways) but not ire how it is for smaller parking lots which I also do. Obviously from comments I can see that they last pretty long, just curious as to any downside to having them?

10. bookworm

bookworm Junior Member
    from Indiana

Where did you purchase it from? I'm looking to get one.

11. maxwellp

Down sides - if it is warm-ish out they push harder and hop. I have it on a V blade so if it starts to hop I just have to move one blade and it stops. Now after plowing with it so long I know when it will do it and get it to stop before it really starts. that it!

On a really good side is very hard to rip up grass, you can plow grass with out hurting it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  12. Shade Tree NJ

Does the rubber scrape good?

13. maxwellp

I have never had any complaints. It is about 90% as good as steel. But if you salt they will never know. Also it does slush better as it will conform to the ground better.

14. Shade Tree NJ

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be going with the rubber cutting edge, just need it to warm up a little to throw it on.

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

This is what I was talking about. The edge is probably 15-20 years old, and only gets used on a 10K sq ft lot... maybe 8 times a year ? I'll ask the next time I see the owners.

It still works good, and looks pretty fine for it's age.

(I hope they say the same thing about me when I hit 20 years old)...:angel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. maxwellp

[​IMG]
    This is my 7.6 with wings. Same idea, old steel edge for a hold down. I used to have a real problem with snow sticking to it, but this year I put fluid film on it. Problem fixed only a small anount sits on the edge. :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014