1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RUBBER CUTTING EDGE??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FIREMAN, Dec 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIREMAN

FIREMAN Member

some of my residentials have paver driveways...are rubber cutting edges any good? and is there a downside to them as far as scraping black top clean?

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Polyurethane works much better than rubber. Cost about the same.

Contact plowking35 for information on urethane edges and costs.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

yes give me a call at 860-859-0739 and I will be happy to discuss the edge with you
    Dino

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

My extensive experience has shown that polyurethane works about the same as rubber depending on configuration. It does last longer, but it more expensive, too.

All in all, I'd buy polyurethane for that application, but if you believe all the claims about polyurethane, I have a bridge to sell you.

5. plowking35

from SE CT

Kent Lawns
    Its obvious that you havent tried one of my edges yet. Give me a call, I will be glad to send an edge to try. If you dont think it lives up to everything I have ever said or written about them, I will take it back no ? asked.
    Dino

6. Kent Lawns

No, I probably haven't and perhaps I should.

I have used the edges from Fallline, MTS and from Pabco Industries.

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Are urethane edges any good with the snoway down pressure system?

8. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes they will work fine with the down pressue on snowway. Alan from VT has them on his snowway.
    Dino

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a polyurethane edge back in November and got to use it 3 times so far. I agree, some of the claims made are, for lack of a better word, exaggerated. I guess it depends on the type of weather and clearing you are doing; remember, in Dinos market area it usually gets warm enough to mix with rain every time it snows so he has a different environment than someone more inland area. They still peel up turf, though once the ground is frozen they are more forgiving than steel. They still plow up piles of gravel. Certain types of snow they do not clear as well as steel edge. I notice no difference in back-dragging ability. They are very quiet-noticeable difference in noise level. Absorb almost all vibration that was par for the course when plowing with steel edge. Can you whack a 1 1/2 inch manhole and run it over like it wasnt even there? No way, unless maybe if you have a full trip moldboard. I can see already this edge will last a looonnngggg time, much longer than a plain steel edge. Its also one of its detriments, as it hasnt yet worn all the way in to the proper angle, so it chatters excessively on dry pavement. I may run it on a table saw and cut an angle into it.

With nothing to lose but an hours mount/dismount time Id give it a try. Would I buy another one? Jury is still out. Will I return this edge for a no questions asked return? No, overall I like it over the steel edge. Just dont expect it to dice slice and julienne fry everything it encounters.

10. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

thanks for you honest opinion bill!

No need to quote the entire post of previous reply.
    Dino

I've been waiting for someone to step forward and give an opinion about them. I think we've all heard how great they are on gravel roads and won't tear the turf, but now we know that they still tear up turf and track gravel. I know a lot of people were waiting for an honest opinion, and you stepped forward in giving one. i think all the people interested in buy a urethane edge thank you.

Bryan

[Edited by plowking35 on 01-02-2001 at 07:06 PM]

11. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Can anyone help Bryan out by explaining how to not have the entire previous post in his reply. Bryan, I appreciate your post, really!, but no need to quote what we've already seen. Turn off the bold too, please, as it gives the impression that your shouting. Keep posting and replying though as the stuff you put in has been good.

Not lecturing, just trying to help out.
    Scott

12. Kent Lawns

I agree 100% with the lawnguy. I will continue to buy polyurethane for certain applications, especially on our backplows.

plowking35 implies that his edges are superior to Fall-Line, MTS and Pabco and while I'm willing to try anything, I've been around long enough to know if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

13. snow

calm down

Moved this post to the moderators forum, no appreciable value in what was written. If they dont agree with me, it will be moved back.
    Dino

[Edited by plowking35 on 01-02-2001 at 07:10 PM]

14. mowing king

mowing king Junior Member

can i get a poly edge for a boss v plow 9.2". i will need it soon. please reply.

15. plowking35

from SE CT

Give me call at 860-859-0739 and I will be happy to order an edge for you.
    Bill sorry to hear that some things are not quite up to your satisfaction, but all the things I have ever said about the edges is true. I will back them up 110% and would never exaggerate just to sell an edge. I really dont need what little money I make per edge sale, to ruin my reputation. If you want an honest opinion of the urethane edge, from someone who has more than 5 hrs plow time on one, read my paper I wrote at my website. The edge will push up stone driveways, but no way shape or form will it pull up gravel driveways. I purposely drove up to and over curbs this last storm, with out raising the plow and it just glided right over the curb, no harm no foul. My edges are from MTS, so Kent if you have tried those edges, and were not satisfied, please call and tell me why, we need this feed back to help with our R&D program.
    And Brian I dont appreciate the inference that I have lied in my posts about how well the urethane edge works. Everything I have written about the edges is 100% true and factual.
    Dino

16. Kent Lawns

Actually we have several edges from MTS, I believe even 2 different types from that particular company.

We have well over 3,000 truck/hours on all our edges combined: 5 different types from 3 different manufacturers'.

I'm not UNSATISFIED with polyurethane edges, but our experience has certainly been different than some of those posted here.

17. snow

I'm sorry, i just appreciated Bill addressing some problems he's had with them. I know you have used them a lot ,
    starting last season. I just wanted to hear some problems they had with them. If his are tearing up grass and still tracking gravel, then what could be wrong with them? If one edge does it, won't they all. I know i've read a lot and heard you pushing them, i just wanted to know any problems people had. i didn't mean to interfere, i just wanted to hear opinions on what happens. I want to here what people say, you've sold a lot, but before bill you were the only one talking about how great they were. i'm waiting for john allin and alan to say how they work for them, since they're in different conditions. Not meant to say you lied, just found it weird that they did something you said they wouldn't do. But, i'd trust your opinion more since you have over a seasons use on them.

Bryan

18. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

My review after first storm trying them:
    Well I sure hope they don't tear up turf because I plowed the heck out of my back yard to make room to park broken equipment, get to spare plow & trailer etc. Snow was too deep to tell what was going on but I was assuming based on the advertised claims that I wasn't doing too much damage. I definitely pushed up a lot of gravel in places, but no where near the same amount as with the steel edges. Quiet was cool, although there were some sleepy times that the steel would have helped with ;). I have the chattering on one edge but not the second plow with one. Discussed this with Dino & we're pretty sure we have figured out why & the problem can be addressed (when I get a chance). Backdragging was incredible. The edge on the main plow has a nice angle worn in already, however I can tell that it will still last longer than the steel. I do my local gas station (they service my trucks is the only reason why, reminded me of why I don't do gas stations [​IMG] ). The plow went right over the tank cap covers without tripping blade. Was able to push snow right up & over curbs many times without tripping also. I believe I didn't hang up A-frame on the curbs because the Uedge makes the plow taller from sticking out below steel edge? That was cool in this storm. I was able to get down to black pavement at my open or ATM'd accounts before any competitor's lots showed black, and I believe the U contributed to that. Overall I was pleased & noticed great improvements over the steel ones. Although Bill has me worried now because the weather he describes is more like the winter weather we normally experience here also. We'll see what happens.

19. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I've used the u edges now for about a month, and a very busy month. I am very satisfied with them, and feel they are living up to the claims. I pushed alot of gravel, and over alot of lawns, and had no problems. In fact, now i have a narrow strip in the middle that keeps digging up grass, and its from the rubber "horses hoof" in the center of my Boss. It is the only thing that digs in. I am currently trying to figure out a way to replace that with urethane!

I mounted my edge too low initially, and ripped the urethane on one side. MTS stood behind their edge even though it was probably my fault, and shipped me a new one the next day, no questions asked! Customer service is awesome, and they do believe in and stand behind everything they say!

The edge will last a heck of a long time, I can tell that. It will more than make up for the additional cost over steel.

Overall I am very satisfied, and would highly recommend one of the MTS edges.

20. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

PINEISLAND1

You wrote: I mounted my edge too low initially, and ripped the urethane on one side.

What is the correct amount to have below the steel part of the blade? How low did you have yours? I have one ordered and was just wondering. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.