1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber cutting edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jeepjimmy, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

anyone use a rubber cutting edge? thinking about it. if so where is the best place to buy from. thanks!

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

On what plow are you planning on using it on....this makes a big difference.

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I am in the same boat sort of, I am strongly considering a rubber or Urethane edge but I am strongly dissuaded by the high price of entry for something I am not sure of and may not like. What I really can't tell is how the rubber and urethane scrape. I'm sure they work great with fine powder, but how about wet snow, what about stuff that's been driven over by some cars already? I understand Urethane is less flexible and more durable, and therefor more expensive. I know the rubber edges on my wings seem to like to ride up over stuff, sometimes enough to lift the entire blade off the surface so the main edge is not cutting anymore. I am worried about this type of behavior with a non-metal edge.
    What is attracting me is the fact that unfortunately I do a number of gas stations and a few places with nasty manhole covers so I'd really like something more pliable that doesn't feel and sound like it's gonna pry the holding tanks out of the ground at the gas stations. Also, I think something flexible might do better with all the uneven ground I tend to encounter.
    I really do like cutting all the way down to clean pavement and I wonder if that would be a thing of the past if I went away from a steal edge.

Plow is a 7.5 straight blade. (with pro wings)

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Would the covers at the gas station break the urethane edge?

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I don't really know, they don't break the steel edge, but it's a hell of a hit sometimes. I was under the impression that urethane was extremely impact resistant. My feeling was the rubber or urethane would flex over it rather than digging in to it like the steel edge does.

-Jer

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

If your using your plow enough to warrant wings....you shouldn't be going to a rubber edge.

7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Can you explain that a little further? Are you saying the rubber will wear out too fast? would going to urethane avoid that?

-Jer

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Your not going to get anywhere near as good of a scrape for one. As far as life span goes, I can't honestly say on a rubber edge, as I have no experience, but with the urethane I can tell you for certainty that they will wear just as fast, especially so if your using your plow enough to utilize wings. Then there is always the replacement cost as youv'e mentioned....I thnk they have there place in the market, but commercial is not one of them.

9. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

7.5 western unimount.. do mainly just parking lots and was thinking it would be good to clean up good with?

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Rubber / urathane cutting edges??? I have been working with Western plows and large highway wing, front blade and belly scrappers for a number of years but have never seen or heard or this. Is this something generally used in the milder weather in the US? Here in Canada I have only ever seen rubber used in the middle of V plows between two metal cutting edges on the wings.

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

They're general used on home based plows....or light use applications. They're not used in commercial applications as they don't perform, or last....

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

If your doing long runs at a time, you'll wear through it fairly quickly. As it heats up due the friction, it is susceptible to quicker wear.

13. mishnick

I had a closer look at the Western website and actually found them in the accesories. Of course they claim that they last longer than steel. I also noticed that the wideout actually comes from the factory with ploy cutting edges on the extensions. At the place where I work we have never installed any either because our salespersone doesn't bother to promote them, or possibly because as you guys say, because they don't actually last as long as steel. I kinda wish I actually owned my own plow / sander so I could get some time in as an operator. I build, install and repair them but have only actually plowed our own parking lot a few times with customer's plows to verify my repairs were good. Thanks for the insight guys, this site is becoming a great training aid. Being the only Western mechanic at my shop I am the go to guy, but who do I go to? I go to the plowsite!

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Are you factory trained, or did you just pick it all up via experince?

15. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I have installed a few ploy edges only to have owner come back after a few snow falls because the edge chipped out and wont clean very well and want the steel back. What I have done to help out was lower the steel edge to about .75 inch above the lower edge of the ploy so it is stiffer seems like that helps but it still chips out. Those customers use that plow only for brick pave drives. I also have customers that uses the poly edge snow pushers, they are better then rubber but still get beat up by manhole covers and potholes. I don't think you would be satisfied with poly for your stations.IMO

16. mishnick

Am I factory trained? Yes I took the Western course a few years back and I work in a shop in Calgary Alberta where I am the primary Western mechanic. I have been doing this every winter for about seven years. Our shop typically builds & installs about 40 to 60 plows every winter. Lots of ice breakers and tornado sanders too. On top of that we build the big plows & sanders for the City of Calgary and Edmonton as well as the big highway front plows with the side wings for Vloker Stephan and Carmac. My primary role is installing the electronics and setting up the hydraulics although I am trained to build them from the ground up. I am the only licensed HD mechanic in the shop, the others are either welders, apprentices or labourers.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

IIRC, urethane was originally developed for use at airports....I'm pretty sure most large airports run urethane equipped plows/pushers. I would consider that heavy commercial work. On larger equipment you will typically see 2 inch thick material(maybe more?). 1.5in thick would work well for trucks & SS's. Urethane can be expensive though.

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

No...as long as the edge is put on correctly

Your feelings are correct

That defeats the whole purpose IMO.

Not saying the answer for the OP is urethane...just pointing out some things I noticed.
    We use urethane on some of our equipment, and its great....on other stuff we run I would never waste my time/$ on it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  19. RepoMan207

from Maine

Really? I would think they're a different compound then...the handful of ones I've seen are shot to crap within the first year.

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Exactly....just like steel or rubber there are higher/lower quality suppliers. I have had rubber edges from one supplier last one season....and others from another supplier last 6+.