1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber cutting edge for lots?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I just read an article in an industry publication with a blurb about rubber being better at cleaning than steel edges. Any thoughts? Or does anyone know where I can find research or articles on this subject so I can make an informed decision.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use the search feature in the menu bar. Many posts on rubber edges

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

didnt have rubber but had a urethean (sp)didnt work as well as steel . even with pretreating
    the high traffic area's wouldnt come clean. in some cases im sure its better but i was disappointed in it performance
    john

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

If you are doing parking lots, you are probably doing salt. I find that steel scrapes down more than enough to salt.

Rubber is going to wear quicker and end up being costly.

Maybe for interlocking driveways, etc...

5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Rubber edges work great. I ran a ubber edge on my 8' Arctic plow for 3 years (commercially) It was a peice of used conveyer rubber about 6" wide and 1.25 inches thick. I found it worked great. Performance wasn't much different than the steel, cleaned up the powder a bit better because it can flex as you go over stuff. It made life a lot more comfortable for the plow, didn't work the trip springs near as often, also worked really good on gravel. I could plow the first plow just like you can after you normally wait for a base to build up and I didn't pile all their gravel on the side. I would recommend it. I have no experience the prefab ones you can buy. I tried putting rubber on my Vplow but it just didn't work on there.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006