1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rubber chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trickenicke, Dec 8, 2005.

1. trickenicke

trickenicke Junior Member

2. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

They look like they would be about as useful as teflon tire chains.
  3. trickenicke

why do u think?
  4. CrazyCooter

They are rubber, flat, with no grip or sipes, etc.
    If people compain about scratching up the pavement by clearing it, they should:
    1) Move to Florida
    2) Rip up the tar and go back to dirt
    3) Buy some sealant in the spring and re-seal it so they don't have to look at ugly scrapey marks on their nice black pavement.

Come on, it's winter. Deal, people, deal. Or charge them enough them you;d normally charge them to sealcoat their driveway in the summer for free :)

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Try the wheel weights suggestion made in your other post about this, especially since we're talking about a garden tractor, not a truck which your first answer should be snow tires.
  6. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Ya those are useless. If you can't run chains, go get some nice n meaty atv tires.
  7. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Chains don't ruin driveways, over agressive drivers do. Your problem is you are using the wrong gears to start off, then applying too much power to beef your torque range up so that the truck pushes the weight with high RPM torque. That high engine RPM causes 'scratching" by your chains.

What you need to do is to drop down into a lower gear, USE YOUR LOW RANGE on the transfer case, so that the gears do the work for you and not the chains tearing up the driveway. That way your engine RPM's will be up, but your ground speed will be low and you will have gobs of torque to push snow.

I plow the steepest drives in my town, I chain the front axles always on those driveways, if it is really bad I will chain all four. I have written extensively on how to choose, mount and use chains in the commercial forum. Do a search under my name and "chains" for postings and that will help you.

There is no need to damage a driveway when you have chains on your truck. You just need the right gearing, Go slowly, and you will have no problems when you make your opening cuts. Chans don't make you a cowboy, they make you safe if used properly.

Plan your route to group those drives where you will need the chains, then take them off where you don't need them. You can quickly install and remove them if you follow my guidelines.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  8. CrazyCooter

He's looking for info on ones for a snowblower, not a truck, but good advice nonetheless.
  9. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Go to costco.com and look in the auto section :)
  10. trickenicke

yeah tommy that was good advice but this on a garden tractor that is manual but u have to be totaly stoped to shift(gay) but would you know what to do with a tractor?:help:
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Tractors, garden or otherwise, are designed for continuous operation at a single speed- shifting like a car is useless to them- you simply don't.

They pull harrows, plows, seeders, etc at fixed speeds. They even mow grass at a fixed speed. If you were able to shift a tractor like a car it would prove unnecessary and costly since the transmissions would be more expensive due to having to be syncronised.

start of in the gear you need for the conditions- plowing snow means low gear no matter how you cut it.
  12. rubbertirechain

rubbertirechain Junior Member

These chains can also be purchased here:

Most people are critical of these chains - and the common analysis is that they have no "bight." They are not intended to create traction by "bighting" into the snow, ice, or your driveway. They create traction the same way a snow tire does: by concentrating the weight of the machine on a smaller surface, which creates more friction and thus more traction.

By using rubber tire chains you're creating your own snow tires without having to purchase an extra set of tires. You can take them off in the spring and you're back to your regular tires.

These chains aren't for everyone, but we continue to get a lot of good feedback from the folks who have bought them. I would love to hear your honest opinion AFTER you've given them a try.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Unfortunately I have to say it- if you live in snow country you NEED snow capable tires be it good snow rated all seasons or a separate snow set. Chains are a temporary solution, not a season long one.

Also- you're assessment of how snow tires work is incorrect. Most people, well, plow drivers, choose a smaller width tire in snow to concentrate the weight however the real reason a snow tire performs like it does is:
    The Rubber compound- winter time means colder temps so the rubber that grabs well in warm does not work as well in the cold thus the rubber compound in the tire is a different blend to allow better grip in the cold. The addition of more Silica also improves grip of the rubber in the cold and more importantly in the wet.
    The Tread pattern - water, sand, Mud, and snow all behave differently and the tread pattern on the tire is designed to effectively displace one or more of those contaminants from the driving surface to allow the tread to reach the base with traction. Snow and mud often behave similar so some Mud tires will work ok in some snow.
    Siping - tires are siped (the thin grooves in the tread) to give biting edges - in poor conditions like wet weather and ice it's the biting edges that have traction, not the blocks. Sipes will collect sand and will cause more heat in the rubber thus shortening the tire life so they are not used as much in summer tires, but you do see siping to move water in tire tread patterns.

A quick loot at any real snow tire - like a Blizzak for example, will show all of the above versus an all season.

All the applications you show on your website show lawn.garden tires- which are essentially flat and barely treaded - your tire chains will lie flat and, following you're above, concentrate weight which will let them sink a little deeper in the snow to the surface below and give traction.
    Here's what is REALLY happening- being only sliced up conveyor belting with smooth surfaces you're relying on a smooth surface to provide friction - the smooth surface has no siping to let the water under it go anywhere, and only 1 biting edge. What really is providing the traction in those situations is the single biting edge scraping into the surface trying to get a grip. Examine what Slicks do on water - this is what the rest of the cross link is doing - nothing.

Try a different texture on the cross links for better performance and above all else not only learn how your competition works (snow tires and chain/cable tire chains) but how your own product actually works. If you don't know both of those you can't improve on a product, be it someone else's or your own.
  14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Wow--old thread.

FWIW, I run conventional chains on my personal lawn tractor/blower...

Yes, they do scratch and claw--especially when backing up the sloped driveway...(note the angle of my pickup in the circle--the straight (not shown) is equally steep).

It's a little annoying, but a small price to pay for the ease of which I can move ridiculous amount of snow. They also work poorly on dry pavement, which rubber would clearly have an advantage. I have seen these rubber chains, and they are of interest--but frankly they're just too pricey. My chains were $40, and the 3X cost seems a bit much to me for something that I don't know will work well. I know rubber has its limits (ie: ice), but it's all the other conditions that concern me.

HOWEVER, I would be happy to do a little "study" (in the interest of professional contractors, of course) of the plausibility of these new-fangled rubber chains, and report my findings to the board. Send me a set, and I'll wait for our next big snow.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  15. stargazer

stargazer Member

Rubber cannot bite into ice, period. Even my full size 9000 lb 70 HP 4WD tractor with huge agricultural ribs you can climb like a ladder cannot bite into ice and will slip like crazy.
  16. rubbertirechain

rubbertirechain Junior Member

I appreciate the honest input.

I got involved with these chains several years ago solely because of my involvement in developing the website. I was skeptical at first, but the amount of positive feedback and return customers has lead me to believe that there is a market for these. They are getting the job done for many folks without tearing up their driveways. They are also being used (with positive results) on forklifts and aircraft tugs that have to come inside and drive on a finished floor.

We will continue to look for ways to improve and see if we can implement some of the suggestions given here (eg textured surface instead of smooth).

We are relatively new to the market. These chains have been in production since the late 80's but have never been marketed on a large scale. We're working on getting the word out a bit more - hence the involvement with plowsite.

I continue to welcome your feedback and - yes, maybe we will recruite some independent study platforms in the future. ;)
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  17. stargazer

stargazer Member

Add studs, or mix in some kind of carbide grit.
  18. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Send me a set, I'll give a review!
  19. stargazer

stargazer Member

Buy your own set, then we can expect and honest, unbiased review.
  20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Studs or carbide would negate much of the benifit they are working on selling with the rubber.
    These need to be made from something like snow tracks for Skid Steers to be effective for a wider consumer base, or maybe layers of conveyor with the ends out to give some kind of siping.
    Incidentally, fork lifts and aircraft tugs generally have solid rubber slicks which would have zero traction in the snow. Those kinds of vehicle generally have those tires because with the weight they move the tires needed so that the tread would not compress and make for dangerous conditions would be incredibly cost prohibitive to manufacture and sell.