1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber caliper pin 94 f350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by thesnowman269, Dec 30, 2013.

1. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Last week I had to do brakes on my truck which ment pulling the caliper off. I've never seen the metal pins with rubber in the middle but that's what's on my truck. Anyways after replacing the brakes and damn near everything else in the front end. I re installed the caliper. Today while plowing my caliper fell off. Clearly I did not install the pins correctly. If anyone has some advice as to how I can properly install them that would be wonderful thanks!

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

did you reuse the old pins? that is not recommended. you can buy new ones from napa for under $5
    look at the pins, there is a wide side and a narrow side. look at the mount and you will see what side goes where.
    i want to say the wide side goes in towards the mount, and the narrow side faces out.

3. thesnowman269

Sorry the correct term is a caliper guide pin

4. thesnowman269

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

as you know, this "pin" is a 3 piece design - metal, then rubber, then metal.

i've seen people who try to drive the pins in by punching on the rubber (not smart), or by punching on just one of the metal pieces (again, not smart). either of these 2 methods may get the pins in, but will likely destroy them in the process - which you probably should recongize when doing the job, but may not. a pin where the rubber becomes seperated from the metal will likely lead to a caliper that falls off.

you want to drive the pin in by punching on both metal pieces at the same time. use a bit of grease to help them slide.

and as mentioned, they are cheap enough to get brand new and should not be reused - although i've been guilty of reusing them in the past after a throrough inspection to ensure there is no seperation.

just take your time, understand the design, and be careful how you install them. a brake job may be simple as far as automotive work goes, but if done wrong, people die.

6. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

also make sure you lube those pins up good because they are notorious for seizing up in the caliper which means that you will have to replace calipers more often.

7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

On my fords, i bend the tabs out on each side a bit so they wont slide out over time.

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

every slide pin i ever used had stops built in to then. it is possible you did not center the pin and the stops were not in enough to catch.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Replace them every time. I use a big straight blade screw driver to drive them out. On spanning both steel pieces at the same time. Come to the stops and just tap toward center of pin, one side past the stop then the other. Clean up the channels they ride in with sand paper. Use brake grease in the channels. It's worth it to change them after the season every year. Much cheaper and easier then doing rotors / pads when they freeze up. I still have 2 new sets in the garage.