1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber Blades??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jerrywane, Sep 20, 2011.

1. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience with rubber blades on Boss plows....how do they hold up,price,durability,easy on/off...i have a few churches that will not consider metal blades because of the scuffing of there lots which they seal almost every year...I could pick up a few good size churches if i did this.Our winters are mild in S.E. Kentucky,and would keep on a rubber blade if they hold up....thanks in advance!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In your area I think you would burn them off fast because you don't get a snow pack on the lots. I think it would heat up fast and cook it.
  3. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Didnt even consider the burnoff part...dam.I thank you for your advise,but hopefully someone else will chime in.......snow is cold,and ground is cold,but plow is heavy,asphalt hard.......this learning thing is hard!Do you or have you run a rubber blade? Thanxs G.V.
  4. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Boss doesnt have that option dead thread!
  5. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

any other brand to fit????

Any thouhts or someone that has done this to a boss?
  6. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I've seen guys put a rubber edge behind their cutting edge and just use longer bolts to hold it in place,

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  8. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

We run rubber edges on our straight blades and absolutely love them! Our local Boss dealer stocks them for straight blades already pre-punched with adjustment slots and cut to length for Boss, Western, and Meyer blades. Call them toll-free at 888-607-SNOW for info, they are great to deal with and are very knowledgeable.
  9. bigrichslc

bigrichslc Junior Member

I would use a poly blade, they last longer and they dont chatter. you can buy it in bulk and cut them your self with just a circular saw. you can buy the material any width you want. We use 1.5 width. plus you dont need the extra blade to support it.
  10. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Holy crap Batman

Ill look into it.I didnt know that their was a poly blade.I thought it was just the plow was with a metel blade on them...can you buy them for any plow.Do they need shoes to displace the weight? This site is bad azz I have a Boss 8.5 str8 blade:redbounce
  11. bigrichslc

bigrichslc Junior Member

I will post some pictures of them tomorrow. I think i have some V plow edges already cut out. We make them and sell them to alot of our customers.
  12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

If they reseal it every year why are they worried about a few scrape marks from the plow?
  13. bigrichslc

bigrichslc Junior Member

They need the tax deduction. lol.
  14. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

dont make it for 8.5

They dont have a poly blade for 8.5 str8 blade Boss....only for 8ft. Gonna keep looking:mad:
  15. bigrichslc

bigrichslc Junior Member

That's what I'm saying, I make them and sell them. If you want one I can make one for you.
  16. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

call me

just left you a message...call me please
  17. davidc

davidc Junior Member

We started using rubber 2 winters ago to get away from a Forest Service rule of holding the plow 2 inches above the deck, we plow 10 miles one way on pavement, maybe 60 -100 miles a day when it is storming. The rubber works great, and we can drop the blade down to just touching the pavement, which leaves a little snow to make a small barrier and cushion for the tire chains.
    The 11 foot plow got good use untill we gouged it in the gravel,, I cut it down ,[they are adjustable] and can still flip it over and start a new surface, probably this winter. This is Western Oregon Cascades at 2400 elevation so not real cold, but we do get ice buildup so we take an aggresive plan and get out there quickly , meaning the rubber wont cut the ice or hardpack buildup nearly as well as a steel bit.
    It does tear up on the few miles of gravel road we have, if there isnt a hardpack to ride over, so we have to manage those roads differently, and stay above the deck, we use a backhoe also when needed.
    I got mine from Columbia River Mills,or Columbia rubber mill?? Portland Ore the 11 footer was 170.00 if i remember correctly.
    Id say go for it, but then i am still green at this snowplowing bisiness
    Good Luck
  18. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I used a rubber blade on a 8' western last year as the curiosity was killing me.... it worked great, just like a squeegee, worked real good on the gas stations, I figure its going to last 5-6 years and it plowed 20+ acres per snowfall last year...way easier going over curbs, and quieter...
    I have two more rubber blades for sale, $150 each
    Might be a drive though
  19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

For Poly Edges check Falline edges...Falline.com
  20. Blades Away

Blades Away Junior Member

I am in Northeastern, Ky and have a rubber blade for a plow. I like it on snow falls of 2" or more. Lower than that get ready to dance with it. They like to bend and bounce on smaller stuff. Other than that they make an awesome giant squeegee. All kidding aside, I plowed an entire season with a rubber blade. I used it on dustings (customers choice) and on 6" snows. It takes a little getting use to but is a blade saver for speedbumps.