1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber blade (Newbie Q's)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by adam, Feb 7, 2004.

1. adam

adam Junior Member
    from IL

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here. Including today, I've plowed maybe about twenty minutes of my entire life. Just picked up this Meyer blade yesterday for my ugly ol' Bronco. I tried the search function and read some stuff about "u-blades". I'm attaching a picture taken today. No one else I know has a blade set-up like this. Is this a u-blade or some kind of homegrown idea? Is that my "regular blade" flipped upside down holding this rubber piece on? Excuse my ignorance but I guess ya' don't know until ya' ask. Thanks in advance for any input.

rubberblade.jpg

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

You have a rubber cutting edge on your plow with your steel edge inverted to hold it on. This is a good way to squeegee snow off of pavement. Not very popular because it will not scape though ice at all and not good at getting packed snow. The city near me(Hamilton,Oh) started using these a few years ago due to the number of trip edge breakage on their municipal plows that winter.

Personally I would buy a new steel or U(polyurethane) edge and toss the rubber...Just my opinion...Chuck

3. Sndun

Sndun Member

If it's doing a fine job, I'd leave it alone.
    If you're unhappy with it, replace it with a U edge and never look back.

4. adam

adam Junior Member
    from IL

THANKYOU! That's exactly what I thought. I have zero experience to look back on or compare to, but I tried doing some clean-up stuff today (had to play with the new toy)! Some packed down stuff and some snow that hadn't been plowed.... and it just slid right over the packed stuff. (Gotta say it's nice and quiet though for whatever that's worth). Think I'll probably just flip the cutting edge back over the right way and lose the rubber. I'm sure this set-up has it's own time and place but I was pretty annoyed that I couldn't even clean up my own parking spot.

Thanks again!

5. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

you could use that rubber on top of your plow and get a new egde..

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That looks like it will plow some snow. You ain't going to cut thru ice well, but mine just floats over it too. and I got a real heavy plow. A new cutting edge for the bottom's only about $50 or so with some new bolts to hold it on. Plow some snow and learn, that's what we all did.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Welcome to the site Adam :)