1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 won't lift all the way-

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by viniferaguru, Nov 15, 2014.

1. viniferaguru

viniferaguru Junior Member

:help:Hey Fellas-
    Older RT3 with new hydraulic pump motor.. angles fast and strong. It raises up - but stops short of full stroke on the lift ram- probably 3" short of full stroke.

Could there be air compressed in the ram?
    My lift ram has a "square" bolt on the end- is this a "bleeder bolt" to purge air?
    Maybe a valve isn't open all the way in the Hyd. Assembly?

thoughts?
    - its freeken cold here

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Is it full of fluid?

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Like Maxwell said, is reservoir full.
    If your reservoir is externally filled it should be self bleeding and you need to cycle the plow to bleed the system.
    If there was a obstruction in the valve it would raise slowly but eventually would go all the way up.

4. viniferaguru

plenty of fluid

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How are you gauging 3" shy?

6. viniferaguru

Diesel-

by experience from years past with this plow- and the ram has @ 3" of exposed shiny rod when retracted

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, it's not hitting the stops?

8. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

That square bolt in the lift ram should be a vent. I just replaced mine and the new ram did not come with the new vent. I had to take the old one out and put the new one in.