1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 wing not functioning

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by aplandscaping, Feb 9, 2016.

1. aplandscaping

aplandscaping Junior Member

I have an older RT3 plow that I just bought, installed the plow side 11 to 13 pin conversion kit, and a new 13 pin harness in my 08 2500hd. Everything including lights, smarthitch, raise, lower and the right side wing functions fine. The left side wing does nothing. The joystick seems to be functioning as it is sending power all the way back to the coil/manifold through the red wire with black tracer (I'm assuming this is the correct wire). Called Boss a couple times and got a few different suggestions, but they dont make sense. Grounded it with a jumper wire, can't seem to figure out why when it has power to it and a good ground it wont operate that wing? Any suggestions, where do I begin to track down the prob? Thanks.

WP_20160209_16_34_49_Pro.jpg

2. aplandscaping

That pic is of the back of my manifold after the smarthitch2 rewire. Meant to add the pump doesn't even run when you try to move the left wing in/out. The coil in question is the one top right.

3. BossEric

BossEric Member

Have you tried to remove the right wing coil and valve and swap it out to trouble shoot it that way. It would only take a few minutes, and then you'd know if it's the coil or the valve.

4. aplandscaping

That's a good idea. Can a bad coil make the pump not run? Any special procedure for removing a coil?

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Red/Black wire = Left Wing In
    Blue wire = Left Wing Out

If your Pump does not run when you try to put the left wing out - Your Joystick it not sending the signal to run the pump or there is a wiring problem from the Joystick to the Solenoid. With the 13 pin unplugged the pump should run in the up - left - right / as in turns on the solenoid in those positions.

6. maxwellp

Wiring Diagram

The coil you are looking at is the left wing in. The left wing out has the Blue wire.
    This could be wrong because of the rewire and color differences.
    I would plug a different controller into the cab plug and see if it all works as it should.

RT3Wiring.JPG

7. maxwellp

No a bad coil can not make the pump not run.

8. aplandscaping

Dealer is a long way away and I don't know anyone with a boss v, but I'll try to find a controller, I know that would be the simplest thing. Is there any other way to test a controller? My test light shows voltage at the red/black at the coil, when I pull the controller to move the left wing out, but which wire would be the one that sends signal to the solenoid to run the pump, I would like to test that one, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

9. aplandscaping

Oops just looked at that wire diagram you posted, looks like I could test the controller white/black for voltage when I toggle the controller to left wing in?

Also, looking at that diagram, I don't have a brown ground wire back there at all, should I jumper all of the self grounded coils to a common ground and bolt it to the ground on the motor or something?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. maxwellp

First you need to get the pump to run when you try to move the Left Wing out. The pump running is powered and controlled on the truck side. If the pump ran but the wing did not move you would need to look and the valve block.

Black/White should have power at the Solenoid when the plow goes up - right wing out - left wing out.

You can unplug the plow and the black and white wire will still get power when trying to move the plow wings out or plow up.

RT3TruckWire.JPG

11. maxwellp

Don't worry about the grounds at the coils yet - the pump not running is the first problem to figure out.

Unplug the Joystick and check the pins in the plugs -

12. maxwellp

Did this plow ever work on your truck?
    Or have you ever seen this plow work at all?

Because you said the the pump will run and the right wing goes out and the pump will run and the plow goes up kind of rules out truck side wiring problems and points to the controller.

Just so we are on the same page-
    Right wing is Passenger side of truck
    Left wing is Driver side of truck

Left Wing is the one that will not work.

13. maxwellp

Try putting the plow into the V, push joystick forward so both wings should run at the same time. Does the left one move doing this?

14. aplandscaping

To answer your questions: No I have never seen the plow work. Bought it used,and installed new wiring for everything. Yes, Drivers side (left wing) is the one that wont operate. With the plow unplugged The underhood solenoid clicks when the joystick is toggled for everything except left wing retract (vee). When the stick is pushed forward with the plow plugged in only the right wing does anything because the left one is "stuck" all the way forward, as it won't retract. I'm thinking you are right on the controller. Don't think its sending signal to the solenoid to run the pump for left wing retract.

15. maxwellp

You could switch the Green wire with the Red/Black wire it see if the left wing will come back in. You will push the stick to have the right wing come back.
    If it does you will know that the retract left wing works.

The pump will not run to retract the wings - the spring pulls them in.

16. BossEric

BossEric Member

I thought you said that the plow worked would raise , lower, right wing worked and the smarthitch worked . Just wouldn't wing left.That tells you that the pump is working ,correct? And you were getting power to the left wing coil. That means the controller was sending signal to the coil , right.

17. BossEric

BossEric Member

Yea , It could also be the controller , you said the plow was originally a 11 pin. If that joystick control came with the plow then it would have some age on it.I am interested in the outcome , and what ends up fixing the problem.Good luck.

18. aplandscaping

Yes, raise, lower, right wing, smarthitch all work, and the pump runs. I wasn't thinking it through that the pump doesn't run to pull the wings back, the springs do that. So a valve/coil may not be opening, or could the ram be stuck? Yes I am getting power to the coil with the red/black wire that operates the left wing but no movement. Now I suspect the controller a little less after I've already ordered one. :eek:

19. aplandscaping

I don't have access to the truck today, but I'll try it tomorrow. Good info.

20. aplandscaping

Ok, so Boss suggested I use a 9v to test the coils. When I touch a 9v to the terminals, the right wing pulls in, the left does nothing. I guess I need to remove the coil to see if I'm going to need a valve and coil, or hopefully just the coil is bad.