1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 Straight plow won't go into float.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DJ Contracting, Jan 8, 2013.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

First let me catch you all up. Last year I had my dog in the cab and left the truck running and plow switch left on, when my dog decided to lay down she did so on the plow controller, thus causing it to angle and heat up the red and black cable connectors to the point of melting the boots where they connect. later that year I heard some popping noises coming from under the hood, only to find the red cable had rubbed through at the hood hinge...I did not do the installation of the plow, I replaced and rerouted the new cable. Now I have always had problem keeping the multi pin connector connected, (always came apart when back dragging). Since the dog laid on the controller Iv'e had to constantly spread the male pins in the red and black connectors to make contact (I know that's my fault). So this past storm I was really struggling with the plow not working, I again had to continually spread those pins in the red and black wire connector, not to mention keep reconnecting the multi pin connector, all the while hearing a popping noise again this time from under the front of the truck, and now the plow doesn't wont to go into float. I replaced the truck and plow side red and black wires (found another area where the red wire rubbed through), the plow works fine (up and down, and side to side) however when pressing the lower button in the controller to put the plow in float the red light doesn't light up and the plow is not in float. Is there a fuse that may have burned for the float problem? Any help would be appreciated thanks. I'm loading up pictures so you can see the damage in the red and black wires, now the melting of the rubber is worse than when the dog incident.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will the plow lower, just not go into float? If so that's in the controller itself.
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the plow will lower, just won't float. Great now to start looking for a new controller.