1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 Straight 7'6" to V conversion

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 2004chevy2500hd, Apr 2, 2011.

1. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

Guys - Wondering if you can help explain what it would take to convert my 2500HD Boss RT3 to a V (no particular model at this point- trying to figure out if it's worth it)

Disclaimer: Non-Commercial use (homeowner) - bought this truck from a landscaper that used this commercially :)

I'm guessing and hoping that I can use the existing frame mount - In the cab, I have a 4 way joystick mounted to the floor.

Aside from the plow - what else would I need to change? Can I use any of the existing wiring? Or would I have to swap out the wiring?

Thanks a million!

PS - You guys left me scratching my head after reading this.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=121229

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

All you need to run a V is the plow and a V controller. The truck side mount and wiring are the same..........thats what makes a Boss so great.

3. 2004chevy2500hd

I like that!! Time to go shopping for a used V.

Thanks again!

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Are all v plows 11 pin? Or are there differences? Reason is there is a rt3 11 pin locally for pretty cheap. If I decide to buy a new plow in a couple years will I need new wiring?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Non Smart Hitch 2 is 11 pin, Smart Hitch 2 is 13 pin. Doesn't matter whether it's a vee or straight.

6. elecblu

elecblu Member

The non smart hitch 11-pin wire harness on the plow will work on a 13-pin truck harness. If you buy a used plow now with a newer 13-pin harness for the truck you will be good to go if you to upgrade plows at a later date with no truck modifications. Only difference between staight and v would be a plug in controller in the cab.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not in all cases. Depends on whether the vehicle has positive or negative common headlamps. But it's not a major undertaking to convert the plow side to 13 pin to be compatible if needed.

8. 2004chevy2500hd

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the help.

9. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Thanks also.