1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 Problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rblake, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Went to hook up my 9.2 rt3 on a 2001 Chevy. Pulled into plow, turned smart hitch on, plow will not raise. The motor is running, tried a different controller that works on another truck, checked connections at solenod/cleaned and down at the plug ins. Any suggestions ?

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Do you have the controller set in float? Hold the down button for 2-3 seconds and it should turn red and then be in the float position.

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

On my old controller, there is no float position. My new plow controller (hand held) has a float position on it, so I tried it but it still does not work.

4. erkoehler

How is your fluid level?

5. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Fluid level is good. Jacked up the plow and got it on the truck. Turned smart hitch off. Went to lower the plow and the pump stays on.

6. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Manual says to change solenoid. Every year it seems i have to change out these solenoids.

7. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Put a new solenoid on and it is still running. Guess its going to the dealer tomorrow.

8. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

cleaned the rust where the plow hooks up to the truck and it works.

9. erkoehler

Bad ground????????????????????

I'm confused:confused:

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why did you have to jack it up, couldn't you just push the tower up and lock the pins? Generally if you havn't used the plow in a while that is the best way to fix your problem because your smart hitch really doesn't matter if it works to plow.

11. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I tried to push the tower up, but it wouldnt move. So i figured since i have had problems before with the ground issues before from truck to plow i would try cleaning off the rust and it worked. I assume it was a bad ground from the truck to the plow.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only problem with your theory is the fact that if it needs mechanical contact between the truck and the plow in order to function then you've got a bad ground/connection on the power cables somewhere as THATS where they get their ground path, not through physical contact.

Sounds more like a sticky/corroded/defective smart hitch switch...which will cause the exact problems you encountered.