1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rt3 on a rt2 mount

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bashby, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

On a truck with an rt2 plow mount, can I hook up to a rt3 plow with quick attach or is there some wiring differences?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can not connect to an RT3 plow with an RT2 mount. They're completely different and will not coincide.

3. Jumpie

Jumpie Junior Member

Sorry but yes you can cause I have mine that way.
    The wireing is different.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Post up a picture of that. This I got to see.

5. Jumpie

Jumpie Junior Member

its on my chevy. bought a used mount for it and even asked the dealer if will work before i bought mount. they even said yes. i dont know how to add pic

6. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I would also like to see that, because it can not be done!

7. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I dont know how that is even possile. A RT2 has a pair of forks that require the light tower to be vertical to enter the mount.

The RT3 allows for the headgear to be forward, and simply align with the "C" trype hanger and is secured with a pin.

Two ENTIRELY different systems. If you are attempting this you are trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Whatever

See Figure 1 on the top of page 7 for RT2
    http://service.bossplow.com/Documents/rtii_v-blade_assembly_manual.pdf

See diagram on top of page 8 for RT3.
    http://service.bossplow.com/Documents/msc04222.pdf

Now tell me that you have a RT3 plow on a RT2 mount.........

8. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I asked because my buddy has an rt 2 (at least thats what it says on the back of the moldboard) on his f450 and an rt3 on his f350. the mounts on the truck frame look the same, but he says the plows wont interchange. I assumed it was a wiring issue, even though the plugs look the same. I figured the other style of mount was an rt1

9. Jumpie

Jumpie Junior Member

i was told that i bought an rt2 mount. cause i couldnt find a used mount for my truck. and so thats what i was sold on. And the dealership in dsm said that it would work

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a couple pics, first is an RT2 mount and the second is an RT3. And both are for the same truck application. Pretty obvious that a plow (either 2 or 3) won't attach to both these mounts. Most misinformation stems from the fact that guys don't know which is which by identification.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I guess the f450 is an rt2, minus smart hitch. I could have SWORN it said rt2 on the moldboard. I'll try to remember to look at it today. Anyway, they both have the rt3 type mount, is there a couple wires you need to add or something to make it work on a truck wired for a smarthitch plow or is it plug and play?

12. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Thats what I was TRYING to say, B&B!

You rock!:salute:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is no RT2 smart hitch. Smart hitch wasn't released until a few years after the RT2's were replaced with the RT3's. Might be an Frankenstein plow in that the moldboard was originally from an RT2 plow, or you're just simply fuzzy on your memory.

However, you also have a SH1 and SH2 on an RT3...and that is where the difference in wiring stems from. A SH1 uses an 11 pin harness and the SH2 uses a 13 pin harness. But you can operate an 11 pin SH1 plow on a 13 pin truck and have all functions. And you can even plug a 13 pin plow into an 11 pin truck if you drill the extra holes in the truck side connector to receive the two extra pins. Doing this you will have all functions on the plow except for plow lamps because the 11 pin truck side has no dedicated plow lamp ground that is needed on a 13 pin plow.

I followed you to the letter no problem but guys that aren't very familiar with it sometimes have trouble so pics seemed in perfect order, as they can oftentimes replace a thousand typed words and make it much easier for the guys to follow. :drinkup:

14. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I meant to say "I guess the f450 is an rt3 minus smart hitch..." Thats what I wanted to know, drill the 2 holes on the truck side... thanks B&B!!