1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 Mount On '05 Dodge Ram 3500 HELP

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Oct 17, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

I just bought a used Boss V plow today. It's a complete plow (mounts, wiring, etc.) that came off of an '04 Dodge Ram 2500. I'm installing it on an '05 Dodge Ram 3500. My question is about installing the rear brackets that angle upwards towards the truck frame. Do you have to drill holes in the truck frame or do I have the wrong mount? (and how the he!! would you drill holes square to one anothe across a tube frame?) I actually took the whole thing off the other guy's truck and there were holes in the frame. Also the guy only had each side bolted on with one bolt through the frame. The driver's side mount only has 1 hole in it. However the passenger side mount has 2 holes in it. Do I need to have two bolts holding the passenger side on or just one? Also is it normal that these brackets are not exactly square(sitting perfectly flat) to the frame when lined up with the holes on the rest of the plow mount?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it's my first plow and I dont have any instructions on how to install one of these. Thanks for the help!
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you will have to drill the holes as they're not there as the truck comes from the factory.

Just be sure to hold the drill straight and steady to the frame as possible and the bolts will slip thru just fine. The frames on those trucks drill pretty easy as long as you have a half decent bit but just take your time. You only need to use one bolt on the passenger side rear brace..since the duel bolt holes are there in the bracket so it'll work with different model year trucks.

Don't be concerned with the plates not laying perfectly flat against the frame. Just loosely bolt everything together (you do have it disassembled right? ;)) and then tighten the forward mount to frame bolts first..and then the brace to mount bolts...and finally the rear brace bolts where you drilled the holes. Don't over tighten those rear thru frame bolts or it will crush the boxed frame together. A torque wrench is your best friend...

You'll probably find that the two holes near the front of the frame horn on the bottom side aren't there either...you'll need to drill those two as well.
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

Thanks B&B got the plow frame mounted. Now I have another problem related to wiring the plow. I have another thread on it if you could take a look. Thanks