1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 lift issue

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Novi plow boy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

I just bought a Boss straight Blade and installed the mount and the wiring, When i hooked up the plow and held the switch to mount it to the truck the unit did not stay up it would slowly go down. To mount the plow i have to hold the switch to do one side and put the pin in place then go to the other side and flip the switch again and put the pin in on the other side. The plow works fine otherwise than this. Has anyone had this problem?

2. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

Sounds like to me that the pins aren't popping into place, the pins should be in the in the inserts to keep them held out,... you need to turn the pins a quarter turn so when the plow come up the pins pop into place. Hopefully the problem is how I understood and this helps. Bryan

3. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

I dont have a problem witht the pins it is the cylinder does not stay up to keep the unit in place so i can go to the otherside and pop that pin in.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They don't stay up. You flip the pin stops to on and then power up your cylinder and the pins should go in by themselves. Some older blades the little spring that holds out your pins might need replacing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  5. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

Thanks i guess i was just didnt know how to place the pins before I lifted the unit.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hummm

is this a smart hitch 1 plow were you have to raise the tower with the control in the cab ? there should be a mouse trap spring on each side to hold the pin out till you power up the tower you release the pin out against the spring till you hit the control after you flip the out side switch .is the toggle switch a single acting switch or double acting

7. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

I have the single acting switch, all I do isflip the switch, turn the pins out and they hold until I get in the truck and push up and they pop in when the plow raises all the way up. Bryan

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it!

9. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

i have the RT3 smarthitch 2 and i figured it out today when i had a little extra time to screw around and play with the plow. thanks for all the help Brett

10. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

that's the deal just go 1/4 turn to unlock the m pis against the pins provided the mouse trap springs are not bent or mis adjusted .it some times helps to spray some penray #7001 red grease on the pins to smooth the engagement of the pins .