1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 leaking fluid from breather on dismount

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 86f350, Oct 18, 2011.

1. 86f350

86f350 Member

i have a RT3 that leaks out of the breather when u dismount it. as soon as you pull the pins the cylinder compresses and lights tower falls down on its own and pumps fluid out of the breather. WHen you hook it up one guy has to hold the controller and the other guy has to put the pins in, it will not stay up by its self. Cartridge stuck? which one? Im new to these bosses. Thanks

2. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Did you overfill the reservoir? You should only add enough fluid to just see it in the bottom of the fill tube and not full to the top of the fill tube. The light tower should actually be powered down and not let down by itself or be pushed down as it can entrain air into the hydraulic system and will leak out of the breather cap.

3. 86f350

86f350 Member

I added 2 qts and it was to the bottom of fill neck with cylinder compressed. I took the smarthitch cartridge out and its stuck and won't move. So I guess its the cartridge

4. 86f350

86f350 Member

the new cartridge is the same way. im used to the cartridges on the westerns that the plunger should move when pushed. Would it matter what position the smarthtch toggle switch on tower is in? valve should hold fluid either way i think. Smart hitch system on this particular plow is junk because spring loaded pins are messed up and you have to manually put pins in. It doesnt bother my buddy but doesnt want fluid going out of breather everytime he unhooks it. im preatty sure its not overfull i only added two qts and its was just coming up to the top of the filler neck. Any more info or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

5. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

We are having this same problem with our RT3 Smart Hitch 1. Anyone find the problem?

6. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

You have to power the tower down using the same toggle switch. If you let it fall by itself it will (often) leak out the breather cap.