1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT3 head light aiming problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BRL1, Nov 25, 2014.

1. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Hey guys on my new plow 8.2 poly vxt I am having problems aiming the headlights. I know this sounds like the most simple thing to do but the adjustments are to the all the way up setting and I can bearly see the light in front of the plow while driving. Even when I turn the hi beams on its really dangerous anybody have any suggestions? Also does anyone know what bulbs I can install to get a brighter light similar to a hid light?
    Thanks guys, Matt

2. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

lower the bladez

My old Boss with the old style life's I could drive with the blade fully up and had no problems seeing. My new 8'6' Straight blade with the blade up all the blocks most of the life's. I called Boss and was told by a Tech that by law these lites are as high mounted as possible and many add extension pieces th raise them up.I asked him if Boss had them and he said no.You have to fabricate your own. So I just lower the blade just enough to allow the life's to do their job.If any on here makes these lite extenders please let us know. My Friends new Western ( sorry about the swear word) and his life's are really high and shines the road great.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the tube its mounted on is tight , it turns down too.

4. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I was thinking that the tube that supports the lights might have to be adjusted. There are only 2 holes for mounting though

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Do the lights need to be raised to clear the plow or need more rotation to project the light beam further out?
    If it's height you'll need to build a riser, if it's more rotation of the light you can elongate the slots on the lower light clamp and the slot on the light bar with a Dremel or Die Grinder.

light bar.jpg

6. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

The lights need angled I guess I will have to grind that area out because it's at the max

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

FWIW I had to do the same.

8. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I'll get on it soon hopefully and maybe add a light bar on the middle beam or headache rack! Haha

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Put more ballast in your truck. I know mine without the ballast is a good worm finder. :)