1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rt2 wont lower where do I start

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BATTLIN_BLAZES, Dec 22, 2008.

I have an rt2 I bought new in 2001 and all the sudden it wont lower, I have all other functions but its stuck up where and what do I look for? Its on an 01 f150 7700 series if that matters. thanks.

I cant believe it broke allready, in its 8th season and completely untouched.....lol;)
  2. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Just happened last night on my RT3. Turned out to be a bad ground on the "lower" coil.

Bought a replacement coil first thinking that the coil had gone bad. Now I have a "spare"! :eek:

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the pump cover off and check the orange wired coil for magnetism with the switch in the float position.

If it has 12V on the orange wire but no mag, then check the coil for good ground. If you've got 12V and ground but still no magnetism then the coil died...which is common since the drop coil is the one thats on the most.

If you discover the orange wire is dead, then start back through the harness all the way to the controller box with a test light to see if the signal picks up somewhere. Possibly even a poor connection on the rear of the switch inside the rocker box.

Be careful when working around the plow while its in the float position because it could drop suddenly if you disturb a poor connection and it instantly becomes powered again.

thanks much will try that I bled the line and lowered and removed the plow warmer weather on the way so I figured I'd wait I was done and ready to remove it and went to put it in the garage when this happened so I guess I got lucky there. I'm thinking it might be a short something has been draining my battery if the truck sits for two or three days at a time and I thought it might be in the plow wiring so I guess we will have to dig and see what we can find. thanks again
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a possibility that your plow controls are powered from a constant 12V source instead of a keyed ignition source like it should be and your leaving the lower switch in the float position? That will not only kill the battery in a few days or less, but also kill the lower coil too.

Would make perfect sense in your case and I do see it quite often.

got back around to playing with it seems to be in the hand controler ever had one of these apart? and what do I look and watch for thanks

I should probably explain better I can tap on it get it to work for a while it will quit tap some more etc. used it all day this way. Im guessing a looses wire but not sure what Im getting into
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be afraid to pull the controller open. If it has any broken wires it won't be too difficult to find. But if the contact plate is bad then you need to replace it. You can purchase them separatly...no need to purchase a complete controller.
  9. White Knight

White Knight Member

If you start pulling wires inside the controller some digital pictures are always nice to refer back to. (rocker box ) not many wires to mix up in a hand held
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Battlin blazes has a hand controller rather than the old rocker box style controller.. :waving:
  11. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I just had this happen to me (plow won't drop, everything else works fine) and found this thread by using the "search" function. As B&B posted, the coil with the orange wire (the one on the left when looking into the solenoid box from in front of the truck) wasn't activating. Turned out to be just a loose grounding wire. I crimped the spade connector gently with pliers so it makes solid contact, plugged it in, and everything works nicely. Since I was in there anyway, I also pulled all the other connectors and plugged them back in just to make sure there wasn't anything else questionable, then shot fluid film around to keep corrosion away.

Just in case someone else finds this using the "search" button, it's worth mentioning the safety warning again: The plow will drop and crush you as soon as the electrical connection is made. Please take appropriate precautions! If your electrical problem is behind the plastic cover, you'll already be covered because you need to remove the lift cylinder before you can remove the plastic. I placed a floor jack under the plow and lifted it to remove the load on the lift cylinder, but since it was stuck in the full-up position with hydraulic pressure against the stops I had to crack open the lower hydraulic hose and let about a teaspoon of oil escape to relieve the tension before I could actually remove the lift cylinder. I hope this will be helpful to someone else in the future.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009