1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT2 vs. RT3 9-2 vplow what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cornbinder, Jan 17, 2008.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i'm considering selling my RT2 9.2 v plow as i have a buyer for $3,500. i'm thinking about buying replacing it with a brand new RT3 9-2" vplow. can you guys give me the pro's and cons to each? i've heard RT3's bend a frame's and wings to easy, but the RT2's are extremely heavy. let me know what you guys think. thanks, pete

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

ya the wings on the newer boss V's bend easy. they still work fine when they are bent a little it just doesnt look that great...

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with the RT2 if it's in good shape. The only thing your going to gain by buying new is a warranty, a set of formed edges (which you can add to your RT2) and a little easier hook up. None of which are worth spending thousands of dollars for...

4. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

so your saying the RT2 is stronger than the RT3?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I know many guys feel the RT2's are "tougher" than the RT3's, but I wouldn't say either is stronger than the other. I've seen/repaired damaged wings, twisted push beams, worn holes and broken bolts on both of them over the years (just like any plow) and feel it's due more to the actual specific conditions rather than the differences in the design...

In your case it's more of an expense decision, rather than specifically needing a new plow correct? If your RT2 is in good shape why replace it with a new plow? Just add the formed edges and a new paint job if you want to update.

In other words, if it ain't broke why fix it.

6. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

good point. i just found another rt2 for $1,500 so i may buy it and keep mine, and sell the other one. is $1,500 a good price? i had one guy tell me rt2's can be bought for $1,000 all day long. i think he was full of sh# t, but i don't exactly know either. thanks, pete

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plow prices are very geographical, but I'd say if it's in good overall good condition, $1500 is a good deal.

Around here you can touch an RT2 Boss V for less than $2000.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i saw an ancient RT1 on craigslist a while back he wanted like $2500 V plows hold there value very well around here...

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The rtII's are stronger;)..........:drinkup:

Just up grade to the formed edges.
    They made a big diffrence.
    (a little grinding and they will fit the rtII.)