1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT2 plow swap. New guy has questions.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MrCarlson, Feb 4, 2008.

1. MrCarlson

MrCarlson Junior Member
    from MM

I am fairly new to the site, I do a lot of reading, little posting. I recently bought a 97 F350 powerstroke with a nice 9'2" Boss V RT2. My intentions were to put the plow on my 97 F250 Powerstroke (with extended cab and a tommy lift) and then sell the F350 because I have no use for it (standard cab and a flat bed). I bought it cheap so I should be able to sell it for at least what I paid for it and keep the plow.

The plow will be used on my farm and to help with my parents and inlaws as needed. I live in MN so we get a moderate amount of snow.

I did the swap last weekend. It took a LOT longer than I expected. The mounts around the leaf springs are very tight and hard to get to. I did get it on and everything bolted in and have a few remaining issues, and thats why I am posting.

1) I think that the mount is too low. I grabbed the manual off of boss's site, but am not sure when to measure it. do I measure it with the plow mounted and in the float position, or with the plow unmounted?

2) My pass side headlight on the truck isn't working. I checked for power at the bulb and there was none, but there was power at the switch and the drivers side. is there a connector between? Is there a common area to look? I ran out of time to research this one fully.

3) The plow doesn't mount/dismount very easily. It didn't on the old truck either. I am missing the plow "kickstand". I intend to get one (any good places to buy this?) that could have been most of my problem, but when mounting and dismounting the truck pushed/pulled the plow around a lot. I expected it to slide out easier. Any other tips for doing this that I should know?

I have no background using a plow, but based off of tips I have seen on this site I have had reasonably good success with it (I have been using it on the F350 for the last month). I am pretty excited because I think this is going to be a whole lot warmer than moving the snow around with a blower or bucket on my open cab tractor. Plus it will allow me to help my family as needed.

thanks,
    Matt
    "Knowledge is HorsePower"
    97 F350 and F250 powerstrokes
    73 Early bronco
    Lots of mustangs

2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Boss

I had a older RT2 straight blade and it can be a bear to get on and off (on conreate) I try and mount/dismount on dirt/yard it will tend to help hold the plow more firmly as you push in to or pull away.

As for a kick stand I used (4)--2'--2''X6'' on end as a stand and it worked well, check out this site, they have kick stands for RT3, not sure about RT2 you will have to call, any ways I just ordered my pro wings from them shiped to my door in one day, there good people.

As far as your lights, B&B will probly be able to help you, he is the MAN when it comes to this stuff.

This site might help http://www.discountsnowplowparts.com/boss_snow_plow_a_frame_f.html

Good luck, Yon

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Matt if you have the manual you know what the height should be (13 1/2" of course) and you should know where to measure it. You want to take the measurement with the plow disconnected and the truck in whatever configuration you run it in when plowing (ballast wise).

The RT2's can be a pain to get on and off sometimes and if the mount height is incorrect, they're even worse. A good tip on the RT2's is to keep the attaching forks well greased. This helps to keep it from getting stuck in the mount. Attaching/detaching on dirt like cameo mentioned does help too. Smooth concrete or garage floor's can be too smooth and the plow will just slide around unless the mount/plow fork height is perfect and well greased.

As to your pass head light, neither high or low beam works?
    Does the pass plow light work correctly?

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This is absolutely correct. I have two of them. Also sucks when they sink into the ground. Both of mine are missing the kickstands. I welded a removable trailer jack on one to lift it up and down as necessary. Also helps to have a friend with a 6' prybar and a floorjack for when it gets really rough.

Mine stay mounted on the trucks all winter, unless I need to travel a long distance. Too much work to get them on and off.

wesport

5. MrCarlson

MrCarlson Junior Member
    from MM

thanks for all the advice. It isn't so bad to know that they are all tricky to get off, I just thought I was probably doing something wrong or something was out of wack. I was using a long piece of wood to wiggle it up and down.

I measured and it looks like the plow is about 1 inch too low. I am not sure if I want to raise it or just put air bags in the front, since I was considering putting air bags all around anyway. Plus, I don't have all of my balast in right now. I have a 500lb tommy lift on the back, but I was considering adding a little more. I guess I need to research air bag systems a little more.

As far as the lights, both of the plow lights work fine, its just the one headlight that doesn't work. it seems weird because according to the schematic the headlights are connected directly with the only connection being the adaptors between the boss harness and the ford light plug. I tested the power to the boss harness using chassis ground (eliminating the posible bad ground), so it is also strange that both the brights and dims don't have power. if there was some other plug in the middle then that would make sense if it had pulled loose.

-Matt