1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT2 giving me fits

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by yardsmith, Dec 7, 2010.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

hey gang
    anyone else out there with an rt2 have prblems with the red/blk connector or the 12 pin plug acting up? half the time my 12 pin doesn't fully seat, & when I'm tryin to plow & I raise it up it just click click clicks.....agggghhhhh!:realmad:
    Sometimes when its making good contact it'll be fine for a month. Then ,,,,
    I've cleaned the contacts, spread the terminals a bit, put dialectric grease in, etc.
    It must be gettin old & I'm running out of patience after 3 yrs of this.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Use a short bungee cord to hold both up hooked to the air gap in the bumper. I have the same problem on my 98 RAM 2500 RT3.
    After I plug both in I take the bungee and wrap around both then hook it up to the space in bumper. Then it works all day/night long.
  3. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

I had the same problem. I do not remove that plow untill after winter is over. Wired it direct with 0 guage. Never had another problem.
  4. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

yeah I JUST got it hooked up & working good sun nite when I had to take it to get tranny adjusted, then I had to take it back off again before they'd work on it. :realmad::realmad::realmad:
  5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I remember that someone makes replacement wires that includes Anderson connectors.......I think it was Jerre Service??

If anyone has that thread link....feel free to pass along, I would save that one.
  6. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

subscribing for the link.......
  7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Here is the link to the website. They don't list the cables on the site but I am sure if you called they would give you the info you needed.

I know someone posted a picture of the kit in the past.........feel free to post it again.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Never heard of an RT2 with a 12 pin connector. Probably because there is no such thing. :D $70 worth of new repair plugs will fix the 11 pin connector (although if it's only a non running pump issue then the root problem lies in the power cables) so ditch the stock power cable connectors and add a pair of Anderson connectors. Those can be purchased on the web for $20 or from most any good parts store for slightly more and will permanently fix that issue. Good time to upgrade the cable size too.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I used the Anderson connectors on the power and negative cables, and trailer plugs from the tractor-trailer parts store nearby. I used a 7 pin round and a 5 pin round side by side. One controls the lights, the other controls the plow functions. Added bonus, no one is gonna drive up to one of my plows and hook it up to their truck and drive away!

PS once you make this conversion, you'll never need to replace it again. Just keep it lubed to keep off the corrosion... Total cost was about $30-35 in parts.
  10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

True story, I had fits with the stock one and per BB"s instruction swapped them out and TA DA, never had to deal with it again.
    Also you get a little more security, not every guy with a Boss Mount can pull up to you plow and drive off with it.......no power for them!!!

it's simple to do, good luck:salute:
  11. scubasteve

scubasteve Junior Member
    from INDY

I am planning to replace my western 21294 cable with these and 4 gauge wires. anderson power products seems to be the industry standard...

they make another one that is 350amps, but i can't imagin that it would need any more than 175 amp commector. anyone correct me if i'm wrong.

here is the link to the mfg.

we used to use these to make quick disconnects for Battery jumper cables. you can see them hanging out the front and rear of AAA trucks around here.