1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT1 Wing/Moldboard Interchange?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by The_Burning_Rom, Feb 2, 2014.

1. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

I'm looking at picking up a crew cab Dodge soon. Part of the potential deal are two 8ft RT1 boss V plows. One plow looks pretty good, other than rust right above the cutting edge on the right moldboard/wing. The seller says he'll weld the holes shut if I want. The other plow has no rust, but was in an accident and the right moldboard/wing is twisted. I know I could switch them between the two, but it's also the right moldboard that's rusty on the other plow. So my question is, do the RT2 generation and/or newer plows have the same moldboards? I know the way they attach to the truck is different, but I wasn't sure if the way the A frame attached to the moldboard/wings/hinge was the same or not.

I know I could just put poly over the rusty blade (after cleaning it up and painting it) and it would be fine, but if I could fix the second blade up, then all I'd need to do is find a lift frame for it and I'd have a second plow I could throw on one of my old Dodge trucks.

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Did you figure this out?

3. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

I have not. Haven't made the deal for the truck yet. I also haven't had time to do any further research, though RT1 info in general seems pretty scarce online outside of PlowSite.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have since learned that you can but you need to trim the center hinge down because the new hinges on the wing side are smaller and won't fit together so you need to make the old plowside smaller.

5. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

Good to know. Did you end up doing the swap? Any pics? I just picked up an RT1 that I'm thinking about putting 9ft wings on.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I *think* RT2 stuff is the same but not RT3. Haven't tried a swap though.

As for a headgear for the truck, RT1 stuff is pretty rare. Can always do like I did and buy a (very common) Fisher Speedcaster headgear that fits your truck and eliminate the cable-op quick attach on the Boss by welding on some new ears, makes it a conventional mount with pins. Works like a charm. Use the Fisher lift cylinder to match, and everything else is Boss. Sometimes you just need to be inventive... lol