1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rt1 or rt2

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by milwaukeevtwin, Oct 26, 2009.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

I went to the boss sight and can not find anything on a rt1. How do you know if you have a rt1 or rt2. Is the rt1 hydros under the hood. I just bought a Boss v and it is on a 1991 2500 gmc. It was purchased new in 1991 with truck. I am looking for all the wiring diagrams for this, so i can start going through it. I also have a busted head light off it. Can i just splice in some new ones? I have never worked on a Boss.
    Any help, would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Ron

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow style

rt 1 plows had under hood hydraulics that i have seen .there is not much information on them any more .it would be no problem retrofitting newer lights .i have very little info in my old dealer manual 1998

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it chain lift or direct lift? That'll tell you right away whether it's RT 1 or 2. I have the RT1 diagrams if you need them.

4. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

boss

No chain. I guess it is a 2

5. Duramax101

Duramax101 Junior Member

B & B I have an 8'2" RT1 V still working great, but I'd love to get ahold of those diagrams since they seem to be tough to locate & eventually I'm sure I'll have problems. Is it possible to install the rubber snow catcher on these plows, possibly tapping a hole for the bolt?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

PM me an email address and I'll send you the wiring schematics.

Don't bother with adding one of the old center snow catchers, they were more problematic to keep on there than they're worth...which is why they finally went away from them. Instead, fabricate up two small triangles out of some 3/8" plate and weld them on the inside edge of your cutting edges so they line up with the center pin and close the gap between the edges, thus mimicking the formed edges on the new style cutting edges.

Boss actually sell's the pieces to do it but for the cost of them I recommend fabricating them yourself instead. Easy to do.

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have the original RT1 owners manual from Boss. Came with the 6'6" V plow I bought last year. Shows everything including head gear installs on various models....

8. Duramax101

Duramax101 Junior Member

Anyone else still have a RT 1 still going? I believe mine is a `94 model, seems to work as well as my 05 RT 3 so still haven't updated it yet.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I believe mine was an 88 or 89 model, but it was a one-owner non commercial use plow when I bought it.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's still more than a handful around here, the oldest is an '87 model year. It's on it's third truck and has been run hard all it's life. Been re-bushed twice, hoses and a couple motors but still on it's original hydro's and iron work. Well used but serviced meticulously.

Was one of the very first Boss's around here and the very first one I ever saw. And still runs primary duty on every storm.

11. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

B&B- do you have any pics of those pieces? I Had them saved on my puter buut my hard drive crashed in Sep & I lost most of my pics. I thought there was a thread on it but couldn't find it-thanks!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

13. pernoy

pernoy Junior Member

I need a wiring manual for the RT1 if you could...

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

15. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

My RT 1 is a 93-94 still going strong with no problems, this year I replaced the cutting edge bolts they rusted out and started popping off just sitting there, I used the wiring diagram for a RT 2 from the boss site when I mounted this plow to my truck and all the wiring came out correct.