1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RT-3 Smart hitch, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dakotaplowboy, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I got my new Boss V plow on yesterday. I did everything myself. I have a western Pro with ultra mounts that I am putting on a different truck. Anyway.

What is up with the Smart hitch? I do not know if I am doing something wrong, have something hooked up wrong or what. (I will be posting picks of the new plow later.) I have the mount on the truck 16 1/2 inches off the ground. But when I drive the truck up to the plow, the plow is too low to the ground. I have to pick up the end to be able to drive onto the plow. Everything else works fine, I am just wondering if this is the way it has to be! HELP!!!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is the cutting edge worn down? If so you may have to put something under it to make it level.

3. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

This thing is brand new. Do you have to have the plow in the Vee when you hook it up or take it off.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The wings should be back ^ or retracted

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What he said, and don't forget to put it in float.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

to hook or not to hook

like the man before me said,must be in the vee position you may have to adjust the poly wedge under the center mast .it adjusts the tip on the blade.who ever assembled the blade may not have adjusted it for your truck , or the hold down bolt slipped.get on boss's web site to get the set up instruction's. i think further in lower's the back further out raise's it

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's your problem, your mount is too high. It should be at 15 1/2" not 16 1/2". Once you get it to the correct height and the plow on the truck, then use the poly wedge under the center section to set the plow angle so the wings set flat on the ground in all blade positions.That's what the wedge is for..to fine tune the attack angle.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

9. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I can see I definitly need to adjust adjust the poly wedge, not sure how to do that, or what you even mean by that. A little explaination might help. I figured out what the main problem was, My driveway is not level, it slopes up. I pulled into the garage and it works perfect. on and off no problem. But the attack angel is off. In the Vee or winges back toward the truck, the center hits first, In scoop the edges hit first. How do I adjust this?

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Your mount is too high. It should be at 15 1/2" not 16 1/2".

For a hint, read how to remove plow.
    to get plow to sit level pull forward ( first adjust your mount) then take a look I bet it is on the ground all the way across not center low or high.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  11. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

If you're able to back out when you left the plow in the first place, then why is it lower when you come back? Unless the ground shifted, i don't see how this could happen?

am i missing something here?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'll work even better if you set the mount height at 15 1/2". The poly wedge is for "fine tuning" the attack angle AFTER you have the mount at the correct height. If the mount height is correct first, you seldom need to make a wedge adjustment anyway. It's no wonder why the center is touching the ground first....the mount is an inch too high.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You can release the plow from the truck and back away.
    The friction with the ground is enough to let this happen even if the mount is at the wrong hight but it will be difficult to get it back on.

14. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

My smart hitch has a hook and bar that the plow pivots on to engage the pins. If the bars aren't higher than the hooks - then it just drags the plow when you back up.

Is the smart-hitch different on a V? EDIT: I don't think it is different. I think the superduty straight and V plows are interchangeable with the mounting.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  15. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Look at the hook on this mount!

[​IMG]

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, the V's and straights interchange as long as there both RT3.