1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Routine 6.0 Maintenance

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 20Silverado05, Dec 2, 2013.

1. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

so over the summer i finally popped my headgaskets on my 6.0, thankfully it was summer not during plow season. here are some pics of when i did all the work at my shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 20Silverado05

3. 20Silverado05

4. 20Silverado05

5. 20Silverado05

6. patlalandebutt

patlalandebutt Senior Member

that looks expensive.. lol anytime that cab comes off!

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Bill f'n Murray...

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I was wondering why you removed the cab to pull the heads, then I saw the last pic with it all back together. I can't believe how cramped that engine bay is. your lucky if you can get to the front 2 cylinders on each side.

anyway, looks good (and expensive!)

9. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

The heads are basically impossible to get off without removing the cab. With the cab off you can do everything at once and be worry free in the end not to mention its a much cleaner to have an open motor like that.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

taking the cab off seams like it makes any job on there look easier.

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Ive never pulled the cab. I split the ac box in half and that's it.

12. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

Yea I've heard of people doing that too. Just seems easier the way they do it where I work to have basically an engine stand once the cabs off. Its also nice to rest a fold up table against the bed across the frame for parts.

13. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

You will love your truck more now! so much more dependable. I haven't pulled a cab yet on a 6 liter. Just pull the engine out the front. I can have it out in 2 hrs +/-. On a 6.4 or 6.7 the cabs are modular and are designed to be easily removed. 45 min to get those cabs up. (As long as the body bolts aren't rotted).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. everestscape

everestscape Member

i have a 2005 and a 2007 6.0, great trucks. The thing you have to do is OVERmaintain them. Oil change every 3k miles and less if you hammer it, coolant flush every 30-40k, coolant filter is a must and a good fuel and oil additive will be smooth sailing. Delete the EGR immediately and let the dam thing warm up in the winter before hammering it:laughing:
    When you break it down the 05-07Fords are the best trucks for almost anything, now don't attack me just yet :laughing: Pre 05 Ford had leaf spring fronts, yes they had the 7.3 powerstroke but turning is a NIGHTMARE. GM's have independent front suspension, awesome for ride quality, so so for plowing or work. Dodge's we all know about their transmissions and their lower control arms are...cute is the best way I can say it. Then if you get into diesel, 2008 and up has emission to the MAX. Listen, there are Chevy guys, Dodge guys and Ford guys and ****, my friend is running a fleet of Toyota Tundras. To each his own but I didn't know if people have ever thought about it like this. Happy plowing all!!!

15. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Nice work!

My 6.0 has 158,000 now, has new oil cooler, hpop, sinister egr delete and coolant filter. Been looking into different shops SCT tunes, and think ill get that ordered before year end. Not planning on going too extreme with the tuning since I'm still on stock head bolts...

Overall you still happy with the ford? miss the chevy?

Oh, What kind of tuning are you running?

Side note, open up those valves on the coolant filter. lol

16. 20Silverado05

I am still happy with the ford the power is rediculous with the tunes, miss the Chevy, it was a nice ride and sharp looking truck. I am running SCT's extreme x tune from Eric at innovative, until I tow or plow obviously. And lastly I had snapped the pic before I had opened the valves haha, just changed my first filter and damn am I happy I bought that kit .

17. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

My 6 leaker went through the whole nine yards this past spring also. I did 6.4 banjo bolts, ARP studs, OEM gaskets, new oil cooler, RCD EGR delete, RCD coolant filter, blue spring kit, updated STC and turbo drain lines. Heads were xrayed and checked for flatness.

I am currently running a SCT livewire with River City Diesel Custom tunes. Truck also has a AFE intake and a 4" exhaust. It absolutely rips now that everything has been done. Im running an extreme street tune right now also until winter time.

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Only reason I pulled motor was to replace it. I just slid it straight out the front. Took coolers off and core support. Think I took the bumper off sometime. I could have one out in as fast as 45 minutes depending on rust

19. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I have had the XDP coolant filter kit on for 25K miles, my bottle and coolant always is super clean. I also run digital oil and coolant temp. What do you guys see for operating oil temp, I run at 195 on stock oil cooler, I do have a replacement ready to go on the shelf

20. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I have the snowplow fan clutch.... Ever since installing that, my temps have been pretty much on the lower side and averaging 183-189 on ECT and EOT. This pic was after driving 75 on the highway and then 3 miles of back roads to my driveway. Mind you, it is 32 degrees out. Summertime it would take a bit longer to cool down from 190-185. When towing the fifth wheel, ECT and EOT have been up to 205-210 but quickly come down together.
    I am SCT tuned. I only use the edge for gauges. No canned tunes for me thanks...

[​IMG]

70-72 psi fuel pressure...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013