1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Route Sheets

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Jul 12, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Ok guys Looking for some ideas on this one ,

I was not around for most of this winter, as i was away doing stuff ussmileyflag,...:gunsfiring:

One of the things that iv had a big problem with , is getting the guys to accuatly record, events, times, service, salt.... on a route sheet, seems they are too gun hoe to remember it till the next day after i complain about not getting them on time, and with me being away, having the abblity to do it remotely

I dont think there ever really will be a "replacement" for a standard route sheet.... But what are ways that you guys use to track ur work beside writing it down, and how to inforce it to ur workers

some of my own ideas include, having them take a before/after pic of the parking lot with a time/date stamp on the pic

having them Call/or text,at the compleation of each job and just leave a message in a phone, (one that just sits at home) for that purpuse, using the call Voice mail, time

Im currently Trying to figure out a way using the quick books, Time tracker, this might enable the workers to imput there time into the computer, with out me around (garage computer). By doing this i think they would be more MOTIVATED to input these times, because thats were there paychecks are generated....No route input, no paycheck

The main idea here, is that i can acess my own computer, with a program from the inet, anywhere in the world, from any PC, and the voice Mail phone, again, you can call from anywere, and access the voice mail

Any other ideas?
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

what my boss tells us... "If you dont write down your times/dates completed i cant bill the customer. If you dont write down this stuff you will not get payed". Seems to work preety good :nod:
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

GPS Tracking!

put the route in so the system automatically records when they show up and when they leave. Then how long it takes to get to the next stop.

All you have to do is check on the work.
  4. onsight

onsight Senior Member

GPS Tracking is Absolutely the way to go! I just invested in this new tracking system www.fleetmatics.com , and it is unbelievable what it does! It updates actual GPS positioning every 30 seconds, and also keeps track of idling time (so you can tell when your employees are slacking off). You can even have it let you know when vehicle maintentance is due (based upon mileage/hours or calendar). Pretty affordable, too.

Just a side note - don't give your wife access to the system :)
  5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I get a sheet with all the places label with numbers next to them....and time in and out! Also description of work performed and if any costumers talk to me! I can take a pic of the sheet and post it up here if you would like?
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

iv got a pretty good rounte sheet, including time/date, temp, conditions, and servie completed

where the main problem that i had was , getting the workers to A: fill the thing out correctly, It seems they were too busy plowing snow....which i can honestly say i have done myself and just plain forgot until later...then i had to do the memory jog thing

and B , getting them to give me those sheets, a few of the trucks stay on site, or the operators take them home, so, i dont always see them...most of my plowing guys have full time jobs with other places, so after 24 hours of sleep , and then trying to catch up with them around there work schedual sometimes can be hard.... This year , i wasnt around , and I had to call , day after day and almost beg for the info... of course i called, when they were at work, so they couldnt give me them at that moment,...

so my thoughts were to have them log into my computer remotly (again i stress a cheap garage computer) and enter the data, or to give them the sheets thru Email, and have them send them back to me filled out
  7. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

You could also go to a dispatching system. When the employee reports for work, they get their first job. When they are done with that assignment, they contact the dispatcher for their next. This will allow the dispatcher to track times, work done, etc.
    You could communicate with cell phones, commercial radio, or pay phone with an 800 number. Those are really cheap nowadays ($.04/min) with the advent of VOIP.

Since not paying someone will probably piss off the dept. of labor in your state, how about paying them minimum wage with bonuses up to full pay for completing paperwork and all job duties?

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

you know thats min wadge thing is a good work around.....:waving:

see i pay pretty well, but since most of my guys in the winter are part time, they dont "need" the money or atleast normally not right away, since they get a normal pay check from somewere else, DONT GET ME WRONG....if u dont pay them on time, id hear it...but its the last thing on there mind..so is the papper work
  9. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I actually took this off a friend of mine but he uses a sheet that requires the person to write down there times and each job and sign it at the end of the day.

I had a fancy time clock setup running on a laptop but I had no idea who was where when.. so I turned it off and we are completely paper. On the back has an area to write down jobs and times on / off.

Very simple setup is helping me in major ways.

I take the times and feed them into MTS Timeclock ( 20-30$ ) and run time reports to get the data needed to feed into quickbooks payroll.

PM and I can share the sheet I have.

Also.... this is a you don't fill out the sheet you don't get paid system. Working very well so far.
  10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I use the no pay until the worksheets are turned in tactic, but run into the "suplemental income" problem too. Last year I implemented a $5/day late fee after 24 hours, deducted from their pay. Difference being now they're losing money versus just delaying the receipt of it. This works really well, and I haven't had to dock anyone yet, as the reminder call usually gets it faxed in pretty quickly.
  11. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we have different crews each crew has a crew chief who is responsible for recording all data on the computer in the truck. durring the route. and e-mails it to the shop. once the route is finished the crew will either start clean up or assist another crew. if the help another crew the crew chief of the crew they are helping is in charge.

pretty simple. and the guys are pretty good about it. they usually wont leave the site untill its recorded.
  12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Your only option is GPS. I assume it can be a vehicle mounted system (verses cell phone) Are they all your trucks or are they subs. Because that is another thing all together. Either way you are responsable for the lot getting cleared and getting paid from the customer.

With the GPS you know exactly where, when and for how long they were at the site. Sounds like cost is not really a factor because if they don't fill out the sheets, you can't bill the customer.

Good luck with yourussmileyflag:gunsfiring:
  13. elite1msmith

from chicago

well cost is always a factor....payup

Im really leaning towards, having them call a voicemail, and leaving the time... as well as a written copy, and might have them enter the info on the net, as there "paycheck" will depend on it...
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think having them take pictures is a little over the top. I cant believe filling out a simple route sheet could be this big of a problem. Last year I just had them call me when they were done with each property and onto the next one. If its that bad have them call you when they finish each lot and you keep track of their times. If that doesnt work, I would be looking for new drivers.
  15. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I was at the store today and they got gps that you can put in routes and all that, it was pretty cool but pricey around $500-700
  16. salopez

salopez Senior Member

those GPS' are great, but you can't keep up with your guys and have spent 700 bucks.

take a free phone what 25 a month....ad a feature in the winter to track them another 25 a month. so less then 500 bucks and you can keep up with your guys and make them accountable for what they do. you won't spend you night on phone calls that they are done with one site and on to another. you can randomly spot check because you know whats done and not done. plus you can do a better job costing because you know when someone got to a site and left, plus how long it took to get to next job including what route they took.

You will know...
    when your guys stop working
    when they get fuel
    which way they go
    can track inventory (salt)
    track milege
    get quartly updated maps
    built in time clock.

all for less then a street pilot style gps sytem.
  17. elite1msmith

from chicago

how do i go about this sytem?