1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Route planning software

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by turbo38sfi, Nov 5, 2007.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

For anyone looking for software that will plan your routes in an efficient route without spending a lot of time staring at the map, MS Maps will do it for you.

I'm only up to 15 residentials, I'm looking for about 5 more and wanted to quickly and easily plot all my accounts on a map and have the computer tell me the best order to do them. Sure I could figure it out, but hey, let the computer do it! :) You can go back and re-order if you don't agree with it. Worked out pretty well.

I even got fancy and put a service radius on the map using my furthest customer as a reference point. I chose a 14 mile radius. So, I'll go out 7 miles in any direction from my house. It all worked out pretty nice.

I guess I'm just bored with no snow here yet and finding a way to pass the time while I'm not plowing yet!

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You got a web site or is this a program you have to buy?

How many stops can you put in it?

3. CrownLawn

CrownLawn Junior Member

This would help out if I knew the web sit or software.

4. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

It's Microsoft Maps 2006.
    http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/products/2006/default.mspx
    You have to buy this, or if your good with a computer you can find it online for free ;)
    No limit on the amount of stops.

There's an online version at mappoint.com but I don't see the option to add multiple stops..

5. CrownLawn

CrownLawn Junior Member

turbo38sfi thanks for the info. I am just now setting my routes up:salute:

6. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I use my gps and I can plot out about 10 waypoints at a time. I just save my route in a couple of different files.

7. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I'm going to have to do the same. I have a in dash Kenwood DVD/NAV unit but it only does 5 waypoints at a time. I can save each route though so I'll have several routes saved. I expect to not really need it after the 2nd time on the route, the first few times it will help though.