1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Route Mapping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bryan C. King, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Bryan C. King

Bryan C. King Junior Member

:help: I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on a route mapping program ect. that would be helpfull in my situation. I have approx. 50 driveway accounts and 3 plow trucks. I want to keep all 3 trucks busy and go about it the best way possible. I would like some kind of program that I can enter the addresses into, and it would tell me which driveway to go to first, second ect.....Any helpfull info would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I don't know about any software. You can go to mapquest.com or any other map site and get an exact location of the address. Than get a regular map for that town and mark all the places and see what is the best route for you. That is how I did it, and I have about 30 drives with only 1 jeep.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Try Route 66, 2004 version, it is the most detailed one I have used so far. I used to use Rand McNally with good result but this one blows that program away. It does take about 2.5 gigs of hardrive space to install and will run without CD's installed that way.

You can find out more about it a www.66.com

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  4. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I justed Streets and Trips.

5. Bryan C. King

Bryan C. King Junior Member

With this program can I add all 50 addresses into it and it will tell me the best route to take? I just purchased the program on Ebay for $13.95

6. Tarkus

I bought mine for 5 bucks! Yes you can but you will kinda have to do one trip at a time (from point to point) It is a very detailed program and take a fast system to run it well. MicroSoft Map Point might let you plot it all as one trip but it is a bit pricy.

7. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

What I liked about Streets and Trips is that I could move addresses up and down to see what impact it would have on timing of my route. Some days I like to do my route in different orders for different reasons (pickup Salt or someone needed to get out earlier and called) so with this tool it allowed me to change, remap, print and go.

8. Tarkus

I have used Rand McNally street finder for year and have used Streets and trip to some and I also have Map Point but I was really impressed with the detail in Route 66 as I was not expecting what I found.

9. Henry

Henry Member

Steets and trips works great for me and it's not too expensive either.

10. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

Streets and trips

I use streets and trips and i can interface my laptop with my GPS for live tracking/maping. i purchased the program 2003 for $7.00. i have not seen a street thats not on the map! sorting your stops is very easy and will even give you the best route and can custom from there. i have saved a few miles driving on my route just looking at the map and changing the stops around. peace

11. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Streets and Trips also has a PDA version for Windows CE based handhelds. I use mine with my Jornada 548 so when a new client calls, I can type in his address and see right where to go without doing the "Do you know where..." game..

You basically open up Streets and Trip and export the map area you need to a file and then send that file over to your PDA which is running Pocket Streets and Trips. Pocket Streets and Trips comes WITH the Streets and Trips program.

Then you can use Pocket Excel and keep track of what you plow and when, Pocket Money for billing, etc..

12. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

The new verison of Streets and Trips comes with a small GPS device. Really cool