1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

route book questions ...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fernalddude, Oct 11, 2004.

1. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

ok guys got to put route book together for new drivers any comments .... :yow!: Was thinking about pics of lots with plastic covers so they can use grease pens to mark pile locations and plan of attack for locations they might need to go to if they need to fill in if breakdowns happen (lol) . also big meeting with all the guys and food and a few beers so its cumfy for all ,going to have slide show first with meal then take the guys in the field to all locations, so everyone has a feal for the lots. Snowplowing 101 i guess. So have any comments let me hear it been working on logistics for 2 months got resupply locations set up and even got parts guy at dealer working on payroll at location 5 min from his work so he can make a few bucks also and he's got the keys to parts room for middle of the nite repairs. Think i got it worked out but any comments would help.......... :waving:
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I think its a great idea to come up with a binder with a nice neat list of all spots you will be plowing. The pictures of the lots in plastic sleeves is a great idea as is the highlighting to show where to pile the snow. Its always nice to be organized, then everyone knows and soes not have to ask.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Now the trick is getting the driver to look at it.
  4. fernalddude

payup See thats why i asked the questions LMAO... Alkidding aside my guys are all govt workers and have detailed plans on every task they do and all the info they need so if they have to do it alone they can, each can work independently if they need two but we are all working as a team. So think i might have gone a little overboard but still working the details out, think this will be my best season ever 25 years and got the right plan, the workers and the contracts.. :gunsfiring:
  5. fernalddude

oh also we got radios ,cell phones and laptop computers to be up to speed on the storms and where we are all at the only thing i dont have is gps tracking of plows (working on that ) and all paper work can be sent via the internet for quick payment from main contractor payup
  6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

The binder is a great idea! I have pictures for most lots but not all. I am planning on working on this this week. Sounds like you have a well thought out operation. pumpkin: BOAST
  7. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

What I did is create a binder with a section for each customer. Each section has the following:

1. A copy of the contract.
    2. Pictures of the driveways, sidewalks, obstructions and areas where snow should be pushed.
    3. Pictures of pre-existing damage on buildings, sidewalks, lawn, etc.
    4. An overview of the service that we are providing. (We do sidewalks for some, but not others. Some are on a different billing system than others, etc)
    5. A separate piece of paper for each month. That sheet has an area where the driver will initial when the service is complete. (For billing purposes).
    6. A route description. Where to go first, where to go second.

And since I'm still a one-man-show all this stuff is just so I can do everything right. LOL.

8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

No matter how big or small you are it always pays to be organized. :waving:
  9. fernalddude

glen great point on damage pics great idea never was thinking of that . thanks for the help.... :waving:
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might think about adding Hazards(bad pavement,manholes,speed bumps) and the time places open so people can plan the attack better.
    But other wise sounds a lot better organized then anyone else I have subcontracted for!
    Too bad your so far south of me!
  11. bterry

bterry Senior Member

This year we'll have three trucks out, and possibly another person with a snowblower. I keep all my account info in a database, which includes (among other info) name, route number, address, description, special notes, etc. I also keep an accurate record of when each site is plowed.

Each time we go out, I print a route list for each truck. The list includes all of the above and a column for time started.

I think this will work good, until a truck breaks or someone gets behind and we have to change it all.
  12. fernalddude

ok going out today to take pics and go over route. Been planing for weeks and have the plows almost ready just a few little things to finish up on (final fit ) then load them up torage lockers are in place and just need to fill then ready to go :yow!: Thanks guys for the help Eric....
  13. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

Great planning guys. I will be including a map ofthe location in my binder. Just a one pager print out from yahoomaps or something of that nature just to keep my marbles straight and to be prepared when I start adding people to my business.

It's a great morning here in MN. Sunny...65...awesome fall colors. Hard to beat.