1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rounded drain plug

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SBrav77, Dec 20, 2005.

1. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

Here I am again. Posting another probably silly question. I need to flush my older western style cable drawn pump. Problem is, the drain plug on the bottom of the pump is rounded and I can't get it off. What is the best approach to getting the plug off so I can drain the fluid and flush it out. This is the first time I have tried to take it off. So, it was probably rounded by the previous owner.

2. john-boy

john-boy Member

take off the pump motor. there is open access to the resevoir

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Then s@@k the fluid out......:jester:

Someone had to say it lol

4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

As stupid as it sounds you try vicegrips? You'd be amazed what you can remove when you get em on there tight. Otherwise i would say buy a new drain plug and for the old one weld(assuming its steel) a nut to it and then get it out.

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

try vicegrips first, if that don't work i would get a Dremel tool and grind down the rounded edges to turn them into square edges. Take the plug out and replace it with a new one.

6. john-boy

john-boy Member

remove the motor and the top lift cylinder bolt and tip the pump. it also will let u see whats wrong with the plug from inside
    then drill out the old plug and re tap oversized or helicoil it

7. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

Go to sears and buy a craftsman bolt-out, they work great. You just find the right size, hammer it on, and then use a wrench to get it off.

8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

You can use a small grinder as well. You just need to flatten out 2 sides for the visegrips to grab.

9. LI landscaping

LI landscaping Junior Member
    from NY

What foggyjr said them things wurk great. did mine last mth.

10. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

Using an easyout will deffinetly work the best. I've had great luck with them getting out a lot of things including broken off spark plugs.

11. john-boy

john-boy Member

For that matter if u have access to a welder, hold a nut big enough to fit around the old plug and fill it in with weld and try to get the old plug fairly hot. this will help it break the rust bond and u can put a wrench back on it. just let it cool a few seconds before u torque on it.

12. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Most of these are good reply's

:waving: SBrav77, At some point your gonna want to drain the oil again, for maybe annual service? Myself I don't like to half ass things. I want it right! I also believe in the KISS sysytem. (Keep, It, Simple, Stupid) Try what FoggyJr5 has suggested. Take a look some insist on using locktight. (I hope they didn't!) If the tap doesn't work for you. Take the unit off the plow flip it upside down and spot weld a bolt in the plug or a nut. It is made of steel. when you get it out throw it out! and replace it. use teflon tape.

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yes, I was going to suggest just that. I happen to see those Craftsman bolt outs at K-mart (K-mart sells Craftsmen now in case somebody didn't know). I think those are one of the slickest ideas.

14. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

I'm gonna try the easy out route for now. When I get the truck back that is. I had a small leak in the gas tank and with gas prices the way they are, I found it cheaper in the long run to fix it. I tried to find a used tank with no luck. Tried every salvage yard in the phone book. I have an odd sized tank and nobody has a used one. Hopefully they will get the tank in and get it put on before the snow falls again.

15. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Ive never had good luck with vise grips. What I do if theres room is use a pipe wrench. Itll grab onto anything. If theres no room, what I do is hammer the next size smaller socket (whether it be inch or metric) onto it and then turn it out. Thats never failed me.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This is a Allen set pipe plug if it is the factory part. You are dealing with a steel plug in an aluminum housing, so be careful. I would follow Palerider's advice and remove the power unit from the truck, pull the motor off, drain the fluid then turn it over and drill it out. Use a left handed bit if available sometimes they back the part out while drilling, if not use an easy out. a LITTLE heat to the body around the plug could help loosen it. not to hot or to close you don't want to warp, or melt the housing. Between folks who think the drain holds the plow together and the galvenitic corrosion that takes place whenever steel and aluminum get together those puppies can be a bear.

While I don't think they would help, Craftsman, Snap on, matco, MAC they all make a socket for removing rounded bolts and nuts. I have a complete set of the snap on's and have used them many time with great success.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

And for get about getting the plug out.

I bet if you get the plug out the threads will be ruined because if the
    galvanic corrosion.

Basher, has some good ideas too. But you should remove the pump from the housing before you heat the unit up..

well it's been 11 days now, so what happend with the plug? what did you do?

18. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

I still haven't been able to tackle the plug, yet. The shop the truck is at has not been able to locate a replacement gas tank. Either new or used. They sent the tank out to see if there is any way to repair it. From what they told me, it is leaking around the seam. They would of used jb weld. But, both seams were about the same way and the other side would of started leaking in the near future. It's a short bed single tank, and all the tanks they have found are about 14" longer than the stock tank. Lets hope they get something done before we get any significant snow. I'll keep everyone informed about progress.

19. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

Another vote for the Craftsman Bolt-Out's.
    I use my set all the time. They've paid for themselves in time and lack of frustration several times over. :salute:

20. Flask

Flask Junior Member

VISE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand..."