1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rough parking lot

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by lagwagon, Dec 18, 2009.

1. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

First, though, I need a vehicle to plow with, then comes the plow! I am looking at older Jeep's vs. Chev Blazer vs. Chev or Ford Pickup. I will be using the plow setup in the following environment:

1/4 acre parking lot - which is mostly very old and rough ashphalt, the rest is gravel.
    30 degree incline 50 feet long by 15 feet wide drive way entrance
    200 feet of sidewalk

I have limited plowing experience, but I have been able to ride with a friend that plows commercial.

Any suggestions on equipment? I am definitely looking at a used vehicle and most likely a used plow. The vehicle and plow will most likely stay on the lot, so I don't need road worthy or insurable equipment. My budget is low!

Thanks for your guidance.
  2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

:eek: your not going to insure it???? what are you gonna do if you hit a car... or person... if thats the case your better off getting a tractor...
  3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

You still need to insure it even if it does leave the lot. You do not need to put plates on it.
  4. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

I appreciate your concern for insurance, however, I should have specified it is a private family owned parking lot. There will be no 3rd party bodily injury or property damage. The plow vehicle will only be used on this private property; it would not be on public roads.

Can we shift back to the vehicle and plow part...

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

WOW! VW Bug with a 8'6" Western plow should do the job.
  6. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Is that what you plow with?:D

7. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I have an old s10 Blazer that I do my yard with....all gravel ..Old Meyer 6ft blade....works nicely....It doesn't leave the property either,
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  8. leon

leon Senior Member

snow ploe et. al.

Dont count on anything cheap unless you can find a fire or distress sale.

You will be money ahead and avoid problems by purchasing a big box lawn tractor I.E. a cub cadet 22-29 horse power with a Briggs and Startton engine, soft cab, chains and wheel weights for under $3000.00

This will run you a lot less money as anything used WILL BE REQUIRED TO BE ROAD WORTHY AND COST MORE.

The large Troy built 48 inch wide snow blowers will cost you even less money.

9. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

10. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

1971 CJ5 with 6' 6" Western plow. 800' gravel driveway.
  11. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

That is an awesome Jeep setup. I will look into your suggestions.

12. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

13. pmorrissette

14. pmorrissette

15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

IF you indeed have a 30 degree incline, I don't see anything short of a dozer going up & down that slope! :confused:

That's about 30' of rise in 50' feet of length?!
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  16. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

LOL I was trying to picture 30 degrees of incline in my head and I was thinking to myself also that 30 degress in a a ton of slope. Better get the D4 Dozer out LOL:help:
  17. mikras1

mikras1 Junior Member

Any of the trucks you mention should work okay for 1 private lot. The incline may be a challenge. My neighbor has a similar steep driveway - their plowguy takes small bites and backdrags it down.so the truck is on the plowed part..

The trouble with yard trucks is getting them to run the few times a year that you need them. If you have experience working on a particular brand, try to get something you are familiar with.

As far as finding the vehicle – you just have to search. Enter Jeep, Blazer, K10, F150, plow etc in Craig’s list and see what’s available.
    Here’s a semi related story – I had an ’86 K5 that was my daily driver for 17 years. Never put a plow on it because we only had 1 driveway at the time, now we have a couple of rental houses.
    It was time for me to get a new truck and a co-worker’s friend said he was looking for a non-registered plow vehicle for the private road at his house.
    I offered him my old one for $200 but I did a quick search and found ‘non-registerable’ trucks for sale with plows already on them for $1000 - $1200. I told the guy he could buy mine if he wanted to but could save himself the work by buying a truck with the plow already on it.
    He said he didn’t mind the work and would rather go with mine. He picked up a used plow somewhere. After the first snow he sent me an email saying he was happy to be plowing in a warm truck for less than the cost of a new snowblower.

The point is finding a cheap plow vehicle that works is possible, you just need to search to find one and be able to keep it running. Good Luck
  18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not telling you to plow with out insurance, but I do know alot of people who don't have insurance.